Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

How To Finish A Tiling Job - Those No Tile Bits

Old 02-23-20, 01:05 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Retiling a shower stall floor. Never done any before. Looks like there'll be a few places where I can't neatly tile. If I've got a biggish sort of place where I can't get any tile in what can I use? Is the grout good enough? Just cover with grout?

Some places like the bottom of the wall I've done a bad job of laying the mortar and no tile is going to lay flat there - and the edge will be standing proud of the wall surface, too. And around the plug hole - we just stop the tiling at some distance from it and taper down to it with what... grout?

and any tips on how I cut these 2" square tiles into smaller bits and, I suppose, somehow take the sharp edge off them once I've cut them?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-20, 01:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 352 Votes on 323 Posts
Post some pictures so we can see what you have because your description doesn't sound good. If you don't have a good base then you're not going to be able to do a decent tile job. Also, you cut the tile to fit the space. You do NOT just put in tiles then fill everything else with grout. Tile is cut with a tile cutter or tile saw.

Old 02-23-20, 02:16 PM
A
I'll go up there and get some pics if I can find some time this morning.

But before then it's the idea, the principle, is what I'm really inquiring about. Isn't it?

How do we fill up spaces where there's no tile? In a wet area. A shower. The wettest: the floor.

Don't have to worry about my job. Just the idea.

;

Old 02-23-20, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
How do we fill up spaces where there's no tile? In a wet area. A shower. The wettest: the floor.
Huh ?

You need to have tile everywhere there is a hole or opening. A large area of grout will just crumble out. It needs to be cut to fit. Keep in mind that the tile DOES NOT seal the wet area. There must be a sealed substrate behind or under the tile.

Old 02-23-20, 04:15 PM
A
Thank you for that. Exactly the sort of straight facts I am looking for.

Seems to me most important is that waterproofing. I've got some membrane stuff from Bunnings. In a tin. I think it's a liquid or a paste, I haven't opened it yet.

So it waterproofs. Then I apply the glue and put the tiles down, then I grout on top. Great. No worries.

so what about the rough spots? Can't use the grout, you say. Okay. then what? Maybe some epoxy resin stuff like the Sikaflex marine range?

I've put some pics up on imgur. If this forum prefers we post pics in the thread I can come back and do that.

Meanwhile: my rough tiling job

Old 02-24-20, 01:07 AM
Received 186 Votes on 173 Posts
OMG, I am at a loss for words!

Old 02-24-20, 04:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 352 Votes on 323 Posts
Waterproofing is something that should have been done earlier in the project, before tiling. It is too late now.

Old 02-24-20, 08:36 AM
T
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I have a suggestion. Talk to a pool plastering professional. He might have an idea and forego the tile. Just put down a white finish. I don't know if that is possible.
Otherwise you need to do a lot of work with a chisel and grind stone.