Skimming an old plaster wall

Old 03-02-20, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Skimming an old plaster wall

I want to skim some old plaster walsl because there are so many imperfections and uneven patch repair from previous owner. (The walls were covered with wall paper that as been removed and washed with TSP.) My questions is what do I skim it with? Plus 3 or something like Durabond? Do I need to put on a coat of PVA on first and if so what is recommended. I been all over the internet and am overwhelmed and confused on how to proceed. By the way all the cracks and and holes have been repaired.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-20, 09:27 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
First I would make sure all the TSP has been rinsed off the wall. If there's any exposed gypsum or remaining wallpaper glue, I would prime with Zinsser Gardz. After that, you could use durabond or joint compound but keep in mind setting compounds tend to be much harder to sand than regular joint compound.

marksr voted this post useful.

Last edited by stickshift; 03-04-20 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-04-20, 11:36 AM
T
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I think go with all purpose joint compound and figure on some sanding. It takes good trowel skills to lay down Durabond of even EasySand or its competitors and they are so much harder to sand that you will end up reskimming with joint compound anyway.

Old 03-05-20, 02:00 PM
Thank you

I agree , so I'll go with joint compound. Sanding is worse than plastering in my mind.

Old 03-05-20, 02:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
While sanding is messy/dusty it's not a difficult task. The neater you apply the skim coat the less sanding you'll need to do - the more you do the better you will get at it.

Old 03-05-20, 02:19 PM
Received 32 Votes on 26 Posts
While sanding is messy/dusty
When I have a large area to sand I use one of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hyde-Dus...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You will probably need a replacement or washable filter for your shop vac after.

Old 03-09-20, 01:05 PM
Thank you for the link. I have been holding the nozzle of the vac in one hand and trying to sand with the other. The attachment will make sanding so much better!