Repairing drywall

Old 06-21-20, 05:39 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing drywall

Hello,
This is the first time posting to this forum. Thank you in advance for your help.
I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen. My question is regarding repairing drywall after removing tile back splash. I need to repair at a minimum 22" w x 12" h of drywall. I have attached a picture showing my predicament. The closest stud is approximately 12" to the left of the receptacle (behind the refrigerator) and another approximately 8" to the right of the receptacle.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Refrigerator to the left

Stove to the right

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-20, 06:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is that drywall or plaster?
I'd probably use a setting compound to repair it. If it's dusty - prime it first.

Old 06-21-20, 06:34 AM
M
Thank you!

It's drywall and there's nothing to attach compound to.

Old 06-21-20, 06:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 498 Votes on 457 Posts
Since it's just one cabinet there, I would suggest you pull out the stove and refrigerator, then detach that bulkhead from the left side of the cabinets. Then take the drawers out and unscrew the base cabinet from the wall and pull it away so you can work on the wall. IMO, none of that is too hard or complicated to do. Once you do that your drywall repair will be easy.

if you try to do it with everything in place, you would have to be really careful as you cut out the drywall so as not to scratch the cabinetry or countertop. You would drop a 1x4 or 1x6 behind the drywall laid flat, then suck it up tight to the good drywall you left at the perimeter. Half of the 1x4 or 1x6 would be laying flat behind the good drywall, and you would screw the edges of your patch to the other half.

Then you would need to be really good at flat taping the edges of the repair where it meets your bulkhead and countertop... and not get mud all over them. The edges would likely need to be caulked when you are done because that edge will crack.

So IMO it would be far better in this case to just remove everything so that your patch is easier to tape and finish, and so that those joints are mainly hidden behind the refrigerator and below the countertop. Easier to tape / less visible.

Old 06-21-20, 09:07 AM
M
Received 135 Votes on 125 Posts
What are you doing with it once it is repaired re: tiling or painting?

Also what is that electrical box attached to since the studs are 12 and 8 inches away from it?

Old 06-21-20, 09:42 AM
M
I am re-tiling. I am also having new counter tops installed and the cabinets refaced. The wall (bulkhead) to the left is also being replaced. I've removed all the screws to that wall but there is at least one screw that I can't get to. It appears that they screwed the wall into the right top cabinet, then hung the cabinet above the refrigerator. Which means I'd have to remove the top cabinet to get to that screw.

As far as removing the bottom cabinet, the floor tile was laid after the cabinets were installed. So if that cabinet were to be removed, the grouting around the cabinet would need to be redone.

Would it be a good idea to just cut the wall (bulkhead) up to the top cabinet with perhaps a Sawzall? That would allow me the space needed to get behind the refrigerator to a stud.

Old 06-21-20, 09:45 AM
M
In answer to your question Manden, that electrical box is attached to a stud.

Old 06-21-20, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 498 Votes on 457 Posts
If you are retiling it just cut it out and do it in place, dropping a short piece of 1x4 or 1x6 behind the edge, then screw it to the perimeter drywall that is left.

IMO you would be wise to hold off until the new cabinets are torn out. Or at least cut out the bulkhead. If the upper cabinet is full of cans or dishes it might be wise to unload it.

Old 06-21-20, 10:06 AM
M
I've been told that the cabinet people will be in and out in two days. So there won't be enough time to do anything once they've begun work.

I think I'll just cut out the bulkhead as you suggested.