Repair ~6" x ~6" Cut-out in Drywall?

Old 07-30-20, 05:55 AM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Repair ~6" x ~6" Cut-out in Drywall?

Hi All,

Awhile ago, a handyman had cut out about a 6"x6" piece of drywall in our garage wall in order to see underneath into a crawlspace under a part of the house. The square piece of cut-out drywall is still there, so I can use it if need-be. So...any thoughts on how to best repair this? (I can't contact the handyman for a variety of reasons, so that's not an option.)

(Picture of the cut-out is below for convenience; you can still see the cut-out square sitting in the bottom of the hole, laying down into the hole.)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-20, 06:02 AM
Received 188 Votes on 170 Posts
If the hole is there for inspection, you might want to make this an access portal. So make into a removable panel. In which case you'll need to make frame.
If you just want to permanently patch it, just glue scarp pieces behind the open pieces protruding beyond the hole so you have a place to place or backing for the out piece.

Old 07-30-20, 06:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
I like the inspection door/cover idea!
To patch the drywall I'd insert a piece of wood longer than the hole screwed to the existing drywall and then screw the patch piece to that wood. Then tape/finish like you would any other joint. If there are any ragged edges on the drywall trim them off first.

Old 07-30-20, 06:06 AM
O
Thanks for the info.

Nope, not for inspection. The handyman needed to check how much space was underneath, for something having to do with pipes. That was about 15 months ago, and the project has long been finished. (Yep, its been this way for a long time now!)

Anyway, I should glue scrap pieces of what behind it? Also, I don't quite understand the rest of what you were advising to do. ("backing for the out piece" is confusing me.) Could you please explain it differently?

Thanks!

Old 07-30-20, 06:09 AM
O
Mark,

Just saw your post.

Do you mean to get a piece of wood that's like 10" across and then just screw that in, inside the hole, above and below the hole?

At that point, I can screw the cut-out square to the wood and then patch it like normal.

Did I get that right? If so, what dimension piece of wood would you recommend? Also, do I just hold the piece of wood inside the hole tightly against the hole while putting a screw through the drywall into the wood?

Thanks again!

Old 07-30-20, 06:25 AM
Without using screws or wood or any tools, I always take scrap pieces if drywall and glue (white glue or TiteBond) them behind the open hole, with enough stick past the hole so you can take the finish piece and glue it to those pieces. Then you use tape or patch to smooth over the seams. I've done this with every wall board patch I ever had. It's strong and holds up very well. Never had a failure. Learned from an old wall boarder skilled craftsman.
Edit... this only works where studs are not available.

Old 07-30-20, 06:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 566 Votes on 519 Posts
1x4's work well. If your hole is 6" wide the 1x4 could be maybe 10" long. Once you get the 1x4 behind the drywall, raise it up so that half of the 1x4 is behind the top edge of the drywall, and put a couple drywall screws through the existing drywall into the 1x4. Do the same thing on the bottom. You might need to start a screw in the middle of the 1x4 to use as a "pull handle", then screw each end to the existing drywall. Then you are ready to put a patch on.

Old 07-30-20, 03:37 PM
Here's how I was taught to do it...no tools required

Old 07-30-20, 04:24 PM
T
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
I like screws. You don't have to wait for glue to set.

Old 07-30-20, 04:49 PM
By the time you get the wood, cut it to size get the drill or screwdriver, find the right screw, the glue is already set.

Old 07-31-20, 02:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks
I know there are different adhesives with some setting fairly fast. I like the mechanical security that screws give.