Repairing hole in drywall

Old 08-09-20, 10:33 AM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Repairing hole in drywall

I have a 1 1/2 cm deep (all the way through the drywall) by 1 1/2 cm wide hole in my drywall.
What is the smallest quantity, size, of dry wall repair product I can buy?

I don't need 180 feet of dry wall mesh tape for my small job. Seems no matter what tools, products, are required I do not have it on hand or I have to buy way more of what product I need.

I have USG Sheetrock easy sand 90 joint compound. Would that work for a hole all the way through the drywall?

The hole was caused by dry wall anchors. This particular curtain hold back hook holds back a curtain that weighs less than a feather! Yet every few years the screws would loosen so a bigger, better, stronger dry wall anchor was inserted! Weird thing is there are two windows, 4 hold back hooks...only this one is always causing problems?

Once the hole is repaired....any brilliant ideas for a way to mount a curtain hold back hook for a light as a feather curtain without putting holes in the wall?

I have a 12 year old Zircon edge finding StudSensor. I just spent 1/2 hour with it. Either there are electrical wires running every where in every wall, or there are no studs anywhere! I changed the batteries. Do these things lose their effectiveness. Time for a new stud finder?

Excuse the long post I'm venting!!!!!

Old 08-09-20, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
In the link it's called a swag hook. They make different sizes and colors. They come with a toggle bolt wing that would go directly into your existing hole. It would give you a strong hook that won't break out.

swag hooks

Old 08-09-20, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Your easy sand will work, and you do not need tape for such a small repair.

Old 08-09-20, 11:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Repair compound can be bought in small size containers if that's all you need but since you have some mud already I'd use that. Use a hammer or box cutter knife to make sure the edges of the hole are recessed into the wall and not protruding. Then I'd trowel in some mud and let it dry. You may need several applications before the hole is completely full and stops subsiding as it dries. Then after you've built up and filled the hole you can sand and paint.

Old 08-09-20, 02:11 PM
I
PJ max. It might work, not sure if the "hook" part would be big enough? I'd be an easy fix.

Old 08-09-20, 02:39 PM
I
The hole is small but goes all the way through the drywall. Won't any mud I trowel into the hole end up falling out the back? Or since it's such a small hole just not push the mud in really deep, let the first application dry well then repeat the process a time or two?

Old 08-09-20, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
That's correct. It will likely take 3 coats...................

Old 08-10-20, 03:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Would something like this work for you? You don't have to use the entire patch [I'm not up on metric sizes]
https://www.lowes.com/pd/FibaTape-Dr...Patch/50171563

Old 08-10-20, 04:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
The trouble with tape, patches or anything else you put on the surface is going to require a much larger repair area to feather in the thickness of what you just put on the surface. A simple hole really doesn't require feathering. Just apply mud and let it dry until the hole is filled. The first couple coats will shrink as they dry leaving a divot that you fill with the next layer. After a couple rounds the hole will be filled and flush with the surface and ready for some touch up paint.

The problem with hooks in the future is that are of the wall is now weekened. Any new hook should be mounted at least several inches away from it's previous location even though this may mess up any symmetry you have with the other hooks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: