Do I HAVE to Sand New Mud on Drywall?

Old 09-09-20, 09:44 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I HAVE to Sand New Mud on Drywall?

Working in a living room where a leaky roof ran down the inside wall and made a few big cracks in the plaster. It was falling in a little, but didn't make a hole. So I was able to push the plaster back flat with the wall, and retain all the pieces. I then used some gorilla tape to temporarily seal the cracks, so the plaster stopped falling out and making a mess on the carpet.

I was going to use a mesh patch, but since this is holding it back really well (and there are just cracks and no big holes), my plan is to just mud over this as is. However, I have one problem.

There is a huge allergy concern. I can't really sand this out, because once it gets air born, or sticks to the walls, or furniture or carpet (even after cleaning/vacuuming), the person who lives here is going to have an allergy fit. They have 0% tolerance for any kind of dust due to their medical condition.

So, is there a non-sanding mud I can use where I can just paint right over it? Of if I use regular mud and apply it thinly/smoothly enough, would there be any issues just painting it without sanding. Looks is not a huge issue, as it's very dark wall and the paint will cover most imperfections.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-20, 09:51 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
There's no rule saying you have to sand drywall compound. If you put it on thinly, with maybe a couple coats, you might not have to sand. It'll never be perfect, but maybe good enough.
You can also wet-sand with a damp (not wet) sponge. Takes a little practice to smooth the surface without pulling off too much, and again, it won't be perfect, but might be a good solution for your situation.

Pilot Dane voted this post useful.
Old 09-09-20, 10:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
A wet/damp stiff sponge is what I use when I need to keep the dust down. For a sponge to work you need to apply the mud neatly. A sponge can smooth out the mud but it won't make it flat like sanding does.

Old 09-09-20, 11:11 AM
T
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Do you have real plaster? If so I would use some fender washers and screw the plaster to get a little more strength than only tape to hold it together. There is such a thing as plaster washers. They work but I doubt you can find them without ordering them and it will take a while, hence the fender washers Then if looks don't matter why mud it at all? Seems like little difference between a tape line and a joint compound line. Just paint over what you have. Someday when conditions change you can do a proper fix with plaster or drywall as is appropriate. You haven't done anything to make a proper repair more complicated.While it would be faster and easier to use power tools there will be a little dust, If you use hand tools it will take more exertion but the crumbs can be caught on a damp rag as you turn the screws.

Old 09-09-20, 04:58 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
And I assume just mudding over the tape without tearing if off first or replacing with with a mesh will cause no issues with the mud later?

I mean, I plan to make sure the mud surrounds it and covers everything completely. So it'll be wall to wall contact (with the tape underneath).