Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Fill the gap around replaced drywall pieces?

Old 10-02-20, 11:10 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I've looked around for an answer to my simple rookie question but couldn't find one...

I had previously cut out a few temporary rectangular access holes in drywall for a project. Now I'm putting those pieces back in place and was wondering about the ~1/8" gap around each piece from the width of the drywall cutting tool blade. Before applying joint compound and paper tape should I be trying to press as much joint compound down into the gap as possible or not really worry about it? If it's best to fill the gap as much and deep as possible is joint compound really ok considering shrinkage or should I fill the gap with spackle prior to the first coat of joint compound and tape?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-20, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
Typically that's where you would use a setting compound. A small bag of 5 minute easy sand, which is a dry powder that you mix up in a pan, use within 5 minutes, and throw away the rest before it turns into a rock in your pan. This is known as prefilling.

Once it's hard you tape and mud it like normal.

vblg01 voted this post useful.
Old 10-02-20, 11:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
While prefilling doesn't hurt and is needed with wider gaps, I wouldn't bother prefilling 1/8" gaps.
I'd also use a setting compound but mainly because it speeds up the repair, nothing wrong with using premixed j/c - you just have to wait longer before you can apply the next coat of mud.

Old 10-02-20, 11:54 AM
Group Moderator
The 1/8" gap causes the tape to pucker oddly if you don't prefill and that mud under the tape doesn't usually dry quick enough. So for impatient finishers who don't have time to wait, they pretty much prefill anything 1/8" and up.

Old 10-02-20, 01:43 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
Buy a roll of the fiberglass self stick mesh, apply that over the gaps, buy a 1 gallon pail of drywall compound, sorry it really doesn't need to be anything special, put down a few light coats, sand, prime and paint!

Old 10-02-20, 02:13 PM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Everyone has his own way of doing what works. How did you fasten the pieces back into the hole? Are you using the same pieces you cut out?
I use FibaFuse tape and I would use five minute mud. Only thing is I don't know if you gan get FibaFuse in short rolls. I suppose you would only be out $5.00 for a long roll then figure out what to do with what's left.

Old 10-02-20, 02:57 PM
V
Yes, I'm using the same pieces that I cut out. I purposely cut the holes around studs so I could screw back into the studs or 2x2 nailers attached to studs, so they'll be secure. I've got both mesh and paper tape handy.

Old 10-03-20, 02:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
The self adhesive mesh tape is prone to failure unless it's locked down with a setting compound.
I'd also recommend FibaFuse! ... although your paper tape should work fine.

Old 10-03-20, 10:06 AM
V
Well I'll need setting compound to fill in the 1/8" gap around the replaced drywall, so I'll have that option if I decide to go with the mesh. Luckily for me at my rookie skill level two of the repairs are on a garage wall and two others are in a popcorn ceiling, so my potentially less than perfect work won't be as glaringly noticeable. .

Old 10-04-20, 10:27 AM
V
I'm a little confused... If I'm reading it right the instructions on the bag of USG Easy Sand 5 says to apply the setting compound to the crack and embed paper tape immediately before hardening. Is this OK or should I let it set and then embed paper tape with general purpose joint compound?

Old 10-04-20, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
When you prefill (meaning before tape) you are filling gaps and wiping down tight.. In other words scraping all the mud off to make it flat... Which is in preparation for the next step which is taping.

If you don't have 5 minutes and you want to go straight to taping that's up to you.

vblg01 voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-20, 11:13 AM
V
Thanks, what you say is what I had been thinking and probably what I'll do then. I suppose if I was more skilled I could do as the bag instructions suggest, but at my skill level with 5 minute mix it would be risky. I'm assuming I don't have to wait very long after hardening to proceed to the taping step.

Old 10-04-20, 11:56 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Probably the most common mistake beginners make is to try to leave too much compound on the wall. Except in the case of paper tape which can have too much mud squeezed out when the tape is applied less is better. Wipe it tight and wipe off the ridges.