Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on drywall repair after new Electrical Box

Old 02-19-21, 01:00 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello! Recently had to install a new electrical panel. The previous one was too small and new drywall was installed around it. The newer panel was larger, so they had to cut out drywall for the install.

What would you recommend on finishing/patching options for the inside of the drywall? For the outside, I'm thinking of just doing some molding for a clean finish. I would really rather not deal or mess with drywall, compound, sanding, taping, etc. Thanks!

Before

After

After (2)

After (3)

Popular Reply

02-19-21, 01:20 PM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
If I was doing it, I think I would skip the drywall and just make a cabinet door, jamb and face frame for it.

Hold some short pieces of 2x4 behind the drywall and put a few drywall screws into them to hold them in place. Do this on the entire perimeter.

Measure the size of the panel cover and add 1/8". Make a frame with 4 sides that will be big enough to slip over/around/past the panel cover. (That's why you add the 1/8") That will be your "jamb". Maybe 1x6 would work... not sure, you will have to measure the distance from the drywall to your electrical conduits on top.

Then make a face frame that you can nail onto the face of your jamb... the face frame will need to be wide enough to cover your drywall edges. Nail that onto your jamb.

Then take that whole thing and slip it over/around the panel cover and shoot it to the 2x4 backing that you screwed behind the drywall.

And assuming your electrical inspection is finished, you can then mount a cabinet door onto that face frame.

Old 02-19-21, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
If I was doing it, I think I would skip the drywall and just make a cabinet door, jamb and face frame for it.

Hold some short pieces of 2x4 behind the drywall and put a few drywall screws into them to hold them in place. Do this on the entire perimeter.

Measure the size of the panel cover and add 1/8". Make a frame with 4 sides that will be big enough to slip over/around/past the panel cover. (That's why you add the 1/8") That will be your "jamb". Maybe 1x6 would work... not sure, you will have to measure the distance from the drywall to your electrical conduits on top.

Then make a face frame that you can nail onto the face of your jamb... the face frame will need to be wide enough to cover your drywall edges. Nail that onto your jamb.

Then take that whole thing and slip it over/around the panel cover and shoot it to the 2x4 backing that you screwed behind the drywall.

And assuming your electrical inspection is finished, you can then mount a cabinet door onto that face frame.

2john02458, marksr, PJmax, Zorfdt voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: