Drywall butt joint problem

Old 03-02-21, 08:13 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drywall butt joint problem

I was going through my add on room pre filling all the butt joints with hot mud. I came across a piece of drywall above a door way where one butt joint rested on a stud and another one didn't. I had no idea way this guy would have placed a butt joint without a stud behind it. The drywall header piece is 12" wide with only a screw on the top and bottom, could it be he did that because of the short distance? Should I hot mud that joint in hopes that it doesn't crack down the road or should I cut back both sides of the butt joint to a stud and put a little replacement piece in? In the pictures below the right side butt joint is screwed to a stud and the left side is in between 2 studs

Butt joint with no stud
studs.

Old 03-02-21, 08:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
That's a tough call. For a short distance above a door I'd be tempted to tape and mud over the joint. To do it right though I'd cut it open and either scab on a board so there is more nailing surface or cut the sheetrock so the seams are backed by the joist for support.

Old 03-02-21, 08:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A 12" span shouldn't be an issue. If there was a door involved I'd be inclined to add a 2x but with a cased opening it should be fine.

Old 03-02-21, 11:01 AM
G
I found the 2x4's behind the drywall, their about 4-5 inches on each side of the butt seam. If I was to screw the drywall down on the 2 studs on each side to stiffen the butt seam, then pre fill with hot mud to strengthen the joint, you think it'll be alright after the wall crew tapes and muds it? The arrows point to my 2 pencil lines where the 2x4's are at...

Old 03-02-21, 11:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
that should be fine ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-02-21, 12:42 PM
G
Before I could push on that butt joint and it would move, I put screws in the 2x4's that were on each side of the joint and now that seam is nice and solid, doesn't move at all. Thanks for all the help....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: