Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

contractor to put dryway over existing wall..OK?

Old 04-09-21, 09:54 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts

i really dont know if its drywall or plaster in my 50s bathroom. i have the shower stall down to studs but the rest of the bathroom is intact. i did peel off the wallpaper. and existing walls are rough. i had a contractor just leave and i didnt ask him of is drywall or not. but his idea was 1/4 drywall over the existing wall and likely where my tub is has to be down to studs. i know this is certain because when i took out the shower theres no way to keep the board that was under the (i think its mirrorlite or 202 someone told me) existing walls in tact. so just half the bathroom would keep the walls intact and be covered. rest to the studs. i cant see where 1/4 inch would matter anywhere except the cast iron baseboard. may lose that little gap at the top. but my living room has quarter round on top of it and that room is fine . i guess outlets need longer screws. anything i should worry about with this methodology

Old 04-09-21, 10:22 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 177 Posts
Using 1/4" drywall over a rough/damaged wall is typical. It requires the existing wall to be reasonably even, but definitely is easier than stripping the old wall. Another option might be to skim-coat the wall with drywall compound.

I would never use any kind of drywall around a tub. That should be some type of water resistant construction, either cement board, a Kerdi type system, or similar.

Old 04-09-21, 10:43 AM
L
interesting, every person i talked to said drywall around tub with just 4 or 6 inch backsplash is ok.

Old 04-10-21, 05:05 PM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Sooner or later you or someone will put a shower in that tub.How do you intend to finish the walls?

Old 04-10-21, 05:21 PM
L
current guy i had out today would put a 12 inch tile around the top of the tub but i dont remember what we discussed above the tub.

unsure why anyone would want to add a shower to it when theres a gorgeous 42 inch glass shower next to the tub

also its been suggested that going over 70 year old walls may not be a good idea and best to take down to studs

Old 04-10-21, 06:43 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 177 Posts
Ah, I may have misspoke. I assumed tub meant tub/shower. Just a tub shouldn't require a whole lot of waterproofing since there won't be much splashing.

also its been suggested that going over 70 year old walls may not be a good idea and best to take down to studs
I think it depends on the wall that's there. If it's in decent shape, I don't see why 1/4" would be a bad idea. The biggest issue is to have to build out the door casing a bit to account for the extra thickness.

The problem with old plaster walls is that the studs were often rough-cut and not necessarily even. The lathe and plaster evened out any inconsistencies - which you'd have to shim before installing new 1/2" drywall.

It really depends on how much work you want to put into it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: