Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

How long does thinset mortar have to dry before applying second coat

Old 09-09-22, 10:37 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts

My tile guy came over to prep my Hardie shower backerboard. He used Versabond thinset to fill in all the seams, no mesh. He said he would be back tomorrow when it dries to tape all the seams and apply a second coat, is this the correct way in doing this? I seen videos where you put your mesh tape over the seam first and then apply the thinset, does it matter it you thinset the seams and then apply a second coat with mesh tape? To me I thought it would bond better if he put the second coat on right away while the first coat was still wet. Don't know much about tile so I'm just asking for my own piece of mind..

Old 09-09-22, 12:09 PM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
I use the self stick fiberglass tape, put that on and grout it all at once.

I have never heard if there is any advantage/disadvantage of doing it in two steps.

Old 09-11-22, 08:17 AM
M
He used that Alkali fiberglass tape over all the seams the next day and then put a second coat of thin set over it, all I have to do is waterproof the seams with Redguard and we'll be ready to tile. I did notice however that there's a small hump in the backerboard between my 2 studs, I'd say about an 1/8 inch or less higher than my corners, will the tile guy be able to run my tile flat on this wall by adding a little more thinset on the edges when he lays my tile to make sure they're flat going across the wall?

Old 09-11-22, 10:22 AM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
If it's a small imperfection just grind it off. it it's the entire panel the tile will just flow over it and wont be noticed.

You know Red Guard is not the best water barrier product out there, membranes are the way to go.

Old 09-13-22, 05:09 PM
M
Thank you...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: