Help with drywall repair

Old 11-22-22, 05:40 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with drywall repair

Hello all,

Someone named "Not me" pulled a towel hook too hard and it's come out of the wall. I need some advice on how to fix. Ideally i can put the towel rack back in the same place if the repair would be strong enough.

The damaged area is larger than the hook baseplate so i will need to make at least the outer area look nice. Any suggestions for a novice? I've never done anything more than filling nail holes.

Old 11-22-22, 06:26 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
If you don't want to mess with sheetrock repair, you could buy a small piece of 4" square wood trim and screw the hook into that, then glue it over the damaged area? I would do a sheetrock repair myself, but that would take a couple days to get it right (google it if you want to go that route).

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-23-22, 01:34 AM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
For the repair trim away any material that is loose, cut around the hole to eliminate the paper that has buckled then using compound patch and sand. That is a very wimple repair that does not look like it's going to need any reinforcement or backing material to patch.

As far as installing in the same place, it looks like it came out looks to be that the screws were not into a solid wall stud so relocating would be best.

Old 11-23-22, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I have 2 sons that I raised but also have a 3rd son who I've never met - his name is 'not me' .. I was always told he was the one that damaged this or that.

To make the repair you'd depress the damaged area slightly and then fill with joint compound until level, then sand, prime and paint. As pointed out above I would not reattach the hook into just drywall. It needs to be secured to a stud behind the drywall. A nice block of wood works well as long as it can be attached to a stud. I've used that method when needing to install something in between studs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: