Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Bathtub wall - Plaster 3/4" at one end and 1/2" at the other end

Old 07-07-24, 11:09 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've been working on this bathroom remodel on and off for a while. I have a second bathroom. Trying to finally get this done and the plan is to fur out studs with 1/4" strips with GoBoard which is 1/2" hopefully getting flush with the remaining wall. I noticed the plaster on the wall facing the plumbing on the left side is only a 1/2" and on the right is 3/4" thick. If I were to fur the studs and apply the GoBoard to this part, I will not be flush with the remaining wall. When I take a 2x4 against the front studs, I do not see any gaps but a 2x4 is probably not the best test to check if the framing is flush.

I don't know what product I will use to finish the walls yet. I'm leaning towards a Vista-Kit shower panel due to it being easy to work with and if the wall isn't perfectly flush, less than an 1/8" off where the walls meet, I think I would be able to get away with it. I doubt any solid panel product and/or tile would be forgiving.

The Vista product would go to the ceiling so I'm hoping liquid nail would be able to adhere to the paint on the original wall and I was going to sand the old mortar off the back wall to get a smooth surface. I'm hoping it's not recommended to remove any more of the wall. Water was getting behind the wall so I removed was what was damaged and some.

As always, any feedback is appreciated.

Any ideas for the metal mesh on the left wall corner? Some of it's rusted. I was going to use tin snips to cut it out and fur with GoBoard straight across.

Left front side of remaining wall.

Right front side of remaining wall.

Hoping to not have to rip out this wall as it was not damaged unless I decide to tile it. Just need to get the surface smooth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: