soft plaster in bathroom

Old 11-04-01, 03:35 PM
Visiting Guest
At both end walls adjacent to my bathtub, below the top of the bathtub,my plaster walls get soft and the paint bubbles, even though I have patched and primed them several times, and even though the last time I did it I painted with a high gloss oil-based paint. I have the shower guards in place at both ends of the tub, I don't have an exhaust fan in the bathroom, but there isn't a problem anywhere else. I'm assuming this is from the shower spray--I want a semi-permanent solution. I've thought of tiling the area, but that would look funny. I thought of putting a piece of clear plexiglass over the areas, but moisture would probably get behind the plexi, with worse results. I'm tired of patching and repainting these areas. Please help.

Old 11-08-01, 06:51 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this a stand alone tub, or is it one that fits between the walls? If it's one that fits between the walls, what are those walls covered with? You've got water getting into this area from somewhere and it has deteriorated the wall. This is what's causing the softness and the paint peeling. Try to find out where the water is coming from. No matter what, these areas are going to have to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: