Sagging Sheetrock

Old 12-01-01, 05:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Sagging Sheetrock

While doing some remodeling I have run into a problem and I don't really know the best way to solve it. I have taken out a wall. I expected to just patch the ceiling with sheetrock, but now I find that the existing ceiling sheetrock isn't nailed to anything on that end (approx. 5 feet). Someone had nailed small pieces of 2X4's into the top of the wall I tore out which held the now sagging ceiling sheetrock. I am confused on how to repair the ceiling. How do I make braces (if that is what they woud be called) to nail the old ceiling sheetrock to? The sheetrock is about inch and half or two inches away from the next rafter. The small gap isn't big enough for me to work sections back in there to nail the sheetrock to. I am a beginner so all I may have done here is confuse anyone willing to help. If so, I truly apologize!

Old 12-02-01, 12:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

The rafters should be on 16" centers.
You are going to have to cut the hanging sheetrock back to the center of the nearest rafter, and screw new sheetrock up that will span from center to center of two rafters, and tape and mud the seams.
I would use drywall screws about every 6"- 8" in this ceiling.
Good Luck!
Mike
edit: I just came across an interesting site at www.drywallpatches.com . Check it out for clips or products that can help you.

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 12-04-01 at 10:09 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: