plaster ceiling

Old 12-06-01, 08:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Question plaster ceiling

Hi I'm trying to see how I should go about patching approximately a 2.5 by 3.5 ft hole in my ceiling above my bathtub which is on an angle against my roof trusses.There is lathing and I did tear off an entire hallway previously and put up drywall, however I don't know if I will run into problems when the angle meets the flat part of my ceiling. Can I put some drywall in the hole and fill the cracks with compound or plaster, or should I try to plaster the entire area?

Old 12-17-01, 01:59 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have seen the drywall patch method used and it seemed to work pretty good. Make sure you tape the joints to reduce the chance of cracking.

Old 12-18-01, 12:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

A local pro painter of 40+ years experience has a trick for patching holes and cracks in plaster.
He uses 6"-8" strips of black plastic screen "wire" (vinyl, I think) to allow some flex, and muds it in just like you do drywall tape.
He does a lot of old homes in this area, and it works like a charm.
I've seen houses that he's done in the past, and I've never seen a crack reappear in a wall or ceiling that he's painted.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-18-01, 04:45 AM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
I have done this screen trick as well - works great. The good side of the plaster needs to be feathered back a couple of inches and the screen applied back in this area. I used a stapler to drive staples throught the screen on both sides of the patch to keep the screen flat. Apply drywall compound in light coats to prevent cracking from shrinkage. If done properly, no one will see the patch - I did a large one about 15 years ago - up one wall, across the ceiling, and down another wall from a door removal - no cracks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: