0%
You may post attachments
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Repairing plaster textured ceilings

Old 01-05-02, 08:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Repairing plaster textured ceilings

Our house has settled over the years and we now have 3 very large cracks in the textured ceiling. We have tried patching them and they continure to get larger. There is no way we could match the texture that is now there. How can we fix this problem without sanding off the old plaster and starting new? What a mess that would be. Someone suggested putting dry wall on the ceiling but I was told it wouldn't hold. Any suggestions???? Sue Hauser

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-02, 04:04 PM
Visiting Guest
DRYWALL will hold ... you just need to run slats across first ... with really big screws ... no just screw them to the ceiling joists. Then install drywall to the slats, you just have to use a lot of screws, more than on the wall anyway. If you run the slats perpendicular to the ceiling joists you shouldn't have any more cracking problems. Hope this helps...

REDDOG

Old 01-07-02, 08:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Cracks must be taped when patched; just plastering over doesn't hold.
I've heard elsewhere that texture can be sanded off; maybe you can sand off the texture off along the cracks, and match the texture yourself. Just practice on some scrap wall board
Drywall isn't necessary unless the plaster is loose, but might be easier than sanding off all the texture

If this is an older house, and the plaster is loose, and you decide to drywall, you may want to replace some wiring up there. (Everytime I open a wall, I find wiring that needs to be upgraded.)