patch plaster/ 1/4-round separation

Old 01-19-02, 06:53 AM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest
Question patch plaster/ 1/4-round separation

I have an adobe house with rounded plaster that blends with the door jambs.

12 years ago we did a remodel and tried to duplicate the edge treatment by abutting the drywall to 1/4 round wood that was nailed to the door jambs and then plastering over the drywall and 1/4 round.

In a number of places, cracks have developed at the junctions of the 1/4 round and drywall, despite having run paper tape over the joints and I would like to repair this.

My first thought is to find some adhesive like floor adhesive and apply it with a striated trowel so that the plaster would have something to adhere to. I suspect that there is some easier, more reliable solution and would interested to hear about it.

Thanks,
Ken Krone

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-02, 02:25 PM
Hi Ken, New homes have rounded corners. They make a rounded corner bead that may be just what you need. I think it is called bullnose. Consider the type that has tape on the side, you don't have to nail it on just mud it on like tape. Fast and easy.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 01-19-02, 09:07 PM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest
plaster/ 1/4 round separation

Thanks for your reply. Actually, the 1/4 round is still attached to the door jambs and lintels, so I really would create a terrible mess if I had to remove them all and then replace them with the other 1/4 round metal bullnose. I am sure that there must be some way of repairing this without making it into too huge a project.

Thanks,
Ken