patch plaster/ 1/4-round separation


Old 01-19-02, 06:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question patch plaster/ 1/4-round separation

I have an adobe house with rounded plaster that blends with the door jambs.

12 years ago we did a remodel and tried to duplicate the edge treatment by abutting the drywall to 1/4 round wood that was nailed to the door jambs and then plastering over the drywall and 1/4 round.

In a number of places, cracks have developed at the junctions of the 1/4 round and drywall, despite having run paper tape over the joints and I would like to repair this.

My first thought is to find some adhesive like floor adhesive and apply it with a striated trowel so that the plaster would have something to adhere to. I suspect that there is some easier, more reliable solution and would interested to hear about it.

Ken Krone
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-02, 02:25 PM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: San Diego Ca. USA
Posts: 1,003
Hi Ken, New homes have rounded corners. They make a rounded corner bead that may be just what you need. I think it is called bullnose. Consider the type that has tape on the side, you don't have to nail it on just mud it on like tape. Fast and easy.
Good Luck Woodbutcher
Old 01-19-02, 09:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
plaster/ 1/4 round separation

Thanks for your reply. Actually, the 1/4 round is still attached to the door jambs and lintels, so I really would create a terrible mess if I had to remove them all and then replace them with the other 1/4 round metal bullnose. I am sure that there must be some way of repairing this without making it into too huge a project.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes