Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing wall and floor tile

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-03-01, 11:01 AM   #1  
??

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-13-02, 01:29 PM   #2  
tomanddee
removing wall and floor tile

confused: What is the proper way of removing wall and floor tile? I started by breaking a tile, then using the claw part of a hammer, I have been pulling them off one by one......is this right? I want to remove the "tiled in" bathtub and tile floor, then install a floor covering and a corner "standup shower", then re-do the wall where the tiles were.

Visiting Guest

02-20-02, 09:39 PM   #3  
some help
Hello
You have the right idea but a heavy hammer will make less work out of it for you...take your time and work from one side and remove every thing as you go use wire cutter to cut the wire. Keep your work area clean and safe, it just takes time...Good Luck

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 06:46 AM   #4  
tomanddee
Great! did as you suggested. Now, my major problem is to get a heavy old castiron bathtub out. ( I have three friends lined up to help me with this monster.

Visiting Guest

02-21-02, 08:05 AM   #5  
some help
Hello
Great ....turn the tub upside down and start on one edge and use the heavey hammer and break it up use eye protection....Much Luck

02-28-02, 09:24 AM   #6  
be sure to also cover the tub while breaking it, pieces will fly if you don't and eye protection won't help your body or the surrounding walls/fixtures.

Visiting Guest

02-28-02, 05:55 PM   #7  
tomanddee
Thanks for the tips! Tub is now histORY!!! next, we will attack the floor tiling. Will remove the commode, remove all the tile then plan on subflooring. 1/2 inch, 3/4 or 5/8? am thinking along lines of 5/8 inch plywood. Wife wants to do lanolium type covering?

Search this Thread