Old 02-21-02, 08:03 AM
ploverly
Visiting Guest
Peel and Stick Tile

My kitchen, breakfast, and utility room have 12 x 12 inch
peel and stick tile. I would like to pull it up and replace it
with new peel and stick tile. I believe that there is only
concrete until the tile. How do I clean the floor after the
tile is removed so that the new tile will stick?

Old 02-27-02, 09:55 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I just did this in my kitchen. I used a 10" spackle blade and did a couple tiles nightly until I got them all removed. While I left the sub floor uncovered I used heavy creft paper to cover the glue so it was not tracked throughout the house. It took me about a week and a half to pull all the tiles up. I then scrapped it again with the spackle blade to get more of the glue up. Then I used a glue disolvent and cleaned it all up with TSP. Let it completely dry for a day then put down the new vinyl floor. A lot of sweat but it turned out nice and saved me the $700 demo and prep work that the contractor wanted.

Next project is the mud room and half bath. A home owners projects are never done until the for sale sign goes up.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Old 02-27-02, 08:54 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The easiest way to remove "peel & stick" floor tiles is with a heat gun and scraper (mind you don't burn yourself, the tip of the gun gets very hot) You will be surprised how quickly they will come up. Average 15' x 8' (120 tiles)kitchen should take about 1 hour.
You can install the new tiles as you remove the old. ie remove first 2 rows and install 1 row always leaving 1 open row and continue until finished.
You probably will not have to remove any old adhesive from the concrete floor as this adhesive will help the new tile stick. (peel & stick tiles are notorious for popping up on concrete).
Note on the glue side of the tiles you will see an arrow. Try to keep all tiles installed with arrows pointed in the same direction.
Good luck with your project.
Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: