Hair Line Crack on Wall

Old 03-16-02, 09:39 AM
adrienne
Visiting Guest
Hair Line Crack on Wall

I noticed a hair line crack on my wall, very small but I can see where it is going, about a foot long right now. My question is should I repair it immediately, how do I do that and will that prevent it from reappearing, or should I wait and see what happens to it as the temperature changes and see if it disappears.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-02, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
You could patch it with regular spackle, but if it's from the house settling the spackle job will likely chip out sooner of later. One option is a paintable caulk which will flex somewhat rather than chip out.

Old 03-17-02, 09:55 AM
Are they drywall or plaster walls? Is it in the middle or over a doorway. You should fix the crack. Don't put caulk or spackle in it. You will be doing that every 6 weeks for the rest of your life. depending on where the crack is will say what sort of fix you need.

Old 03-17-02, 10:56 AM
adrienne
Visiting Guest
The crack is in the middle of the plaster wall.

Old 03-18-02, 12:08 PM
OK. there is a 50-50 chance that the crack will return. Thats just the way it goes with plaster. First cut away any loose material in and around the crack. Next put fiberglass tape over the crack. Then apply lightweight joint compound over the tape. Three coats for smooth finish. Usually you will put mud on both sides of the tape tapering off twelve inches on both sides. But its not always the case. Especially with plaster. Check to see if the wall bows in or out at the crack. If it bows in then fill the gap, if it bows out then fill both sides with mud. The way to check it put your twelve inch knife against the wall. It will either rock back and forth or there will be a gap.