Sakrete Concrete Resurfacer

Old 04-04-02, 09:53 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sakrete Concrete Resurfacer

Hi folks!
Am contemplating repainting the basement floor of my old house. The concrete is old and pitted with age. I painted several years ago and paint did not hold up well. The floor has always been pitted and was thinking of resurfacing for a smoother finish. I realize that the surface needs to be etched, paint and concrete, for adhesion.
At the Orange Box( Home Depot) I noticed that Sakrete has a Cocrete resurfacing product that is meant for something of this ink.
My question is, has anyone ever used this particular product and how well has it performed. I have used Thoroughcrete in the past but it is too expensive for this size area, 21x19
The area is a utility basement only, moderate traffic.
Thanks in advance for any information.

Old 04-05-02, 11:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'd like to do more research on a similar project.

I need to put a new "skim" type coat on my shed's concrete floor (it's 30 years old.

The shed is fine and I surely don't want to break up the old slab. I will have to look into the same type of product.

Sakrete makes excellent stuff...I think there is a product out there that puts this type of "skim" coat over existing concrete.

Old 04-06-02, 12:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile CONCRETE RESURFACER

Greetings!
I have already did some research on this. Many products are only applicable if there is no paint on the object to be coated. Formidable project in itself on a 21x19 previously painted area! This includes some acrylic industrial paints that tout that they will give a smooth surface. The additional problem ,with the paints, is that you are then stuck with them as they really seal the concrete and nothing else will adhere. Good if it's a new, or bare, floor and that is what you want. Company goes your stuck!
As I said, I saw a product by Sakrete, at the Orange Box. I called them (Sakrete) at their 800 number and was put in contact with a very suprised, and knowledgeable, representative, who I believe was not used to talking to the public on the phone.
He listened very attentively, and after I explained the situation, that the area needing repair was put down probably in 1927, has been repainted at various times and is pitted, he explained that Sakrete has a product called Resurfacer concrete that will cover these problems.It is engineered with a bonding material that will adhere to any sound surace ( within reason of course!) even paint, and that it was designed for these types of repairs. It will go over paint and old concrete and will adhere.
Common sense items such as loose paint, concrete, dirt, dust,etc should be removed and it can then be put down in desired thicknesses and as little as 1/8th of a inch.
This is manufactured as Retop, Rapid Seal and several other names, including their own Sakrete Resurfacer Concrete,( which I saw at HD) for various distributors and sold at HD and Ace to name a few stores.
He also stated that it would not be a good idea to try their regular products unless you are going to do some real thickness as it will not properly adhere in my situation, nor hold up in thin applications. Sounded like some good advice.
I intend to buy and try the resurfacer at HD. It cant hurt to try! (famous last words!!)

I also found a article that might be of interest to you ,being the auto mechanic and all!!! It is at the following addy;

http://www.s-t.com/daily/10-01/10-28-01/e07ho144.htm

Old 04-08-02, 08:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, it would probably work for me.

My dad and uncle laid down this pad for the shed in 1969. It has not been painted or altered since then. It has degraded in spots, so I will take everything out, throughly clean it up and give this stuff a whirl. I have to clean out the shed anyhow .

Thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: