Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

plaster repair

Visiting Guest

05-25-02, 09:42 PM   #1  
CherylD
plaster repair

I recently purchased an older home built circa 1915. The walls and ceilings have cracked plaster. Some large areas and some smaller and some cracks mostly in corners and ceilings. Are there any do it yourself videos and or publications available to read up on this? thanks

Sponsored Links

NC

05-25-02, 10:37 PM   #2  
A painter friend of mine, with more than 40 years pro experience, paints a lot of older homes in this area.
His trick with plaster cracks is to cut black plastic vinyl screen (as used in screen widnows and doors) into 6"-8" wide strips, and mud it in over the cracks just like you would drywall tape. Then prime and paint.
Works like a charm.
Good Luck!
Mike

Visiting Guest

05-26-02, 11:53 AM   #3  
CherylD
thanks old guy

Thank you old guy for the tip on plaster repair. Can this screen tip be used with the plaster washers that I have been reading about?

Cheryl

NC

05-26-02, 12:17 PM   #4  
I'm not too familiar with the plaster washers, but the screen is held in place by the drywall compound.
Don't see why the screen couldn't be used in conjunction with another repair tool.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread