electrical outlets pulled out of wall!!

Old 05-22-02, 03:39 PM
yinyang
Visiting Guest
Exclamation electrical outlets pulled out of wall!!

My walls are so thin, 4 of my outlets have pulled out of the wall, I went and bought some of those recepticles that have the flip out tabs and guess what?!!! The walls are too narrow for them to even fit and I bought the shallowest ones the store had!!
Anyone with any ideas?? I would sure appreciate it!!! yinyang

Old 05-29-02, 04:39 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Sometimes the easiest route is to open a hole adjacent to a stud, nail on the deepest box you can fit and patch around the box.

Old 06-03-02, 12:46 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
You say your walls are thin...

Does that mean the wall covering/sheathing is thin, or does it mean the cavity is not deep enough to accomodate a standard electrical box? If so, is it less than 1 1/2" inside opening between the backs of the two walls?

Old 06-04-02, 04:41 PM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Self-anchoring J-box

I'm a bit confused too whether you meant a drywall to be too thin or a space between 2 drywalls to be too narrow....
Anyways, if you meant a drywall to be too thin, you could use a self-anchoring Junction box. It's the same idea as a anchoring bolt. It has 2 'flaps' on each side with a screw running between them. After you cut an opening on drywall and run your wires into the box, slide it into the opening and start turning the screws on both sides. They start folding the flaps in half, and it eventually comes in contact with a back side of drywall....anchoring the box in place.
I just used it yesterday....it's very useful when you just have a hollow space to put in a J-box.
Good luck!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: