Hole in Subfloor

Old 07-15-02, 07:55 AM
Raymond_H
Visiting Guest
Hole in Subfloor

I had a soft spot in my living room floor (house is 3-years old) I pulled the carpet back and found a cement type patch that was cracking. I chipped it away and found a three inch round (almost like it was drilled) hole in the 3/4 inch T&G OSB.

Not knowing the best way to fix it, I used silicon to glue a 6 inch square piece of primered 1/8 inch steel to the sub floor and put the pad and carpet back over the floor. The spot is right in the middle of the living room and if I try, I can feel it without shoes on.

In a couple of weeks carpet layers will be in to install Berber and the best pad we could get. I'm not sure if I should leave the "patch" or do something else. I thought about sanding the area down 1/8 inch and then glueing the steel in so it would be flush.

Can anyone offer some advice on this?

Thank you very much,

Ray

Old 07-15-02, 08:25 AM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
Can you get to the underside of this floor? Take a piece of plywood, 5/8 or 3/4, larger than the hole and glue it to the underside of the floor. Cut a piece of plywood that is the same thickness as the floor to fit inside the hole and glue it to the piece you added from the bottom.

Old 07-15-02, 09:02 AM
Raymond_H
Visiting Guest
Underside

That was my first thought...

The crawl space is about three feet high but, running right down the center is a poured concrete wall that has wood support for the I-Joist. The 2x4's are spaced very closely and have diagnal bracing. I am skinny but just can't make it through. I was told that I could go the the very end and cut some of the bracing out so I could fit. This, I was told, is what the builders usually do so plumbing, insulation, etc could be connected. Apparently, the plumbing and insulation was done as they put the sub floor in (or a VERY skinny person was used).

I know this is the proper way to do it. I thought about cutting the hole bigger so I could patch it the way you described only from above but I'm not sure it's really necessary. It's a small hole and the wood is fine right up to the edge.

Thanks,

Ray

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: