Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

need texture on dry wall

Visiting Guest

07-15-02, 08:16 AM   #1  
rep001
need texture on dry wall

I recently patched a whole in dry wall, only problem now is that it doesnt have texture like the rest of the wall. How do I apply texture to this small area?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-15-02, 10:01 AM   #2  
bungalow jeff
That depends on the texture. I used a rolled up plastic bag to match texture on one wall and dragged lines for another wall in my house (and I can't wait ot get rid of them). One of my old apartments would require an oversized comb to repliocate the swirl patterns.

Visiting Guest

07-15-02, 10:19 AM   #3  
rep001
Ok, I guess it's a kind of blotchy texture, no real pattern. You would use a plastic bag and what? are you talking about the during the painting process or do I use the spakle and create texture with that?

Visiting Guest

07-15-02, 09:40 PM   #4  
bungalow jeff
I bunched up a plastic bag in my hand and mushed around some stiff drywall mud to mimic the existing plaster texture. I think the "interior decorators" would call it scumbling or some such with thick coats of paint on drywall. I was patching a 6"x9" hole in my pantry, so I wasn't too concerned about the texture since the wall will eventually be gutted with the kitchen. Of course, it came out rather well. I doubt if I could do it again intentionally.

Visiting Guest

07-17-02, 02:47 PM   #5  
SBird
It sounds like you have an orange peel texture or a knockdown texture. If it is an orange peel - its fairly simple - there are aerosole cans for applications to small areas available at Lowes or Home Depot (& smaller places, I'm sure). The cans come with small straws that have different size tubes to produce a different patterns.
I haven't tried the knockdown texture, as I haven't needed to & it seems more complicated. (something like this: Spray thinned joint compound on wall, wait a few minutes - smear with broad knife)

Search this Thread