Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Asking advice on what to do with inherited cash gift

AZ

08-08-16, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Asking advice on what to do with inherited cash gift

My sister died several months ago and left me a cash gift from her revocable trust. Amount is 0$ to $15,000. I know that I don't have to pay Federal or Arizona income or inheritance tax on it. But I would have to pay tax if I start earning interest income from it. Can anyone suggest some type of tax-free investment account to deposit it into?

Sponsored Links

NY

08-08-16, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)  
You need to contact a financial advisor or go to your local bank for advice. Asking for this type of advice in a forum such as this is almost as bad as sending a Nigerian Prince the money with the promised of gold in return.

Group Moderator

MN

08-08-16, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Sorry about your sister.

Of course asking your financial advisor is your beat option because everybody's financial situation is always different.

Depending on your age, and how your retirement portfolio is, here is a couple of things to think about:

If your employer has a 401k, you could max that out and supplement the "missing" income with the money.

You could open or add it to an already existing IRA. That money will then earn interest but you would only pay tax on it when it is withdrawn. That way the money will earn more because of compounding. There are max contributions you can make per year so you might have to spread it out over a few years.

You could buy gold and hope it continues to go up.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

AZ

08-09-16, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Ok. Thanks. I'll talk to my credit union. I put an inquiry on this website, because I'm familiar with some of the members who have a lot of life experience. Don't worry. I'll think it over carefully.

Group Moderator

WI

08-09-16, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)  
My first thought was Roth IRA, assuming you qualify to have one and have not already maxed out your contribution for the year, but that would not cover the whole amount you have anyway.

AZ

08-10-16, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Yeah. Roth IRA looks promising

Search this Thread