Cat won't use litterbox

Old 02-22-04, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cat won't use litterbox

Hi All,
We have three cats, two of which always use the litterbox. Our youngest cat (4 years) refuses to use the box. Instead, she does her business on the basement floor near the box. I tried adding litter boxes (we now have six), tried moving the boxes, tried different litter, etc. and NOTHING works A few times I have caught her in the act and tried to grab her, but she is too quick for me. She now acts "spooked" any time I see her anywhere near the boxes.
I keep the boxes extremely clean, too, but I am getting really sick and tired of scrubbing the concrete floor.
Any ideas? HELLLLLLP!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-04, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I want to hear the resolution also. I have one cat that will just pee in the box "thankfully" but when she does it's funny cause she balances on the rim of the box. It's like she don't like standing in the litter. But the she'll do #2 just outside the box.

Old 02-23-04, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have three as well

The two that use it did they grow up together? And have you kept the boxes together. My one used the floor as well but I moved his box away from the others and put a top on it.
I took his droppings from the floor and placed them in his new box away from the others and showed him while petting. Do not punish the cat anywhere near his/her box they will associate it with trouble from then on. Hope this helps...

Old 02-24-04, 04:49 PM
S
supersteve
Visiting Guest
DOH! Good answer homer. You took the words out of my mouth. We have two cats and our second was only a baby when we got her. Our other (a male) was skittish about letting her use the box. But with time and alot of patience he accepted her and let her use it. Now he'll wait for her to use it before he uses it himself.

If all else fails ask your vet. There are sprays out there to curve your cat from chewing on things ( a bitter spray )maybe there is something with a pleasant odour to draw your cat to the box.

One more thing. I've taken in strays not litter trained. I'll take their droppings, place them in a clean box, place the cat in the box gently, take their paw and scratch their paw in the litter. Usually you have to do this with kittens when mama isn't around.

Try our suggestions and see what happens. If it comes down to it and your cat is noncompliant, call your local vet or pet store. Good luck!

Old 02-24-04, 04:56 PM
S
supersteve
Visiting Guest
I almost forgot. Most cats love cardboard boxes. Try lining the bottom of a cardboard box with shredded newspaper. Put a little layer of litter over top. Just enough to cover the paper. Put it somewhere the other cats won't get near it. Chances are if your other cats aren't fixed they could be spraying the litter boxes. Technically they're being bullies and marking their territory everywhere they don't want the little guy.

The cardboard box could work. It's worth a try.

Old 02-26-04, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! Yes, the two that use it did grow up together, must be a "good-old-boys" network

I will try your suggestions & will post back. The cardboard is a new idea...maybe that will work.