dog aggressive/escapes

Old 05-03-04, 06:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dog aggressive/escapes

We adopted a beagle mix and he's great. A year old, does good with the kids (he's snapped a couple times when they try to pet him and he's resting), seems to understand the need to use the outdoor facilities. Even seems to have had some training, will sit for a treat. Overall we're very happy.

Two problems with him though. He's very aggressive with any other dogs, when they come by he strains at the leash and he'll even try to bite me as i restrain him. Is there any way to break this aggressiveness with a year-old dog?

Second, he dashes out the door at the slightest opportunity and runs like the wind. We've caught him both times and he seems happy to come back. But the shelter said he was a stray and we think now we know why. Is there a way to train him to stay in unless we're taking him out? The shelter had said keep a leash on him so we can catch him if he dashes, He chewed through the leash in one day! And we don't want him dragging a chain around the house.

Last edited by kaybyrd; 05-03-04 at 09:49 PM. Reason: to remove inactive vB coding
Old 05-03-04, 09:59 PM
From what I read, I believe that he may be aggressive toward other dogs because of the fact he was a stray and had to defend himself and/or defend his food.

He may also be startled easily and go into defense mode when awakened from sleep because of the nature of survival in his previous lifestyle. He may also snap when just resting because he feels vunerable at that time.

Leashing/restraining him when the door is opened doesn't mean that he has to be leashed/chained all day. Until our dog was trained not to run out the door when it was opened, we always had to hold his collar to allow someone to come in or exit the house. Until he learned which door he could 'shoot' out of it was something we had to watch. He still tests us on that one even though he is getting better about not running out any door, just the back door (acceptable).

His preferring to go outside to use the restroom could be either due to training by a previous owner or the simple fact that he has been going outside all the time during his stray period. Its the natural place for him to go.

At a year he is still young enough to train. Even older dogs can be re-trained from bad behaviors so with love and the continuing training he will learn what is acceptable in your family.

How long have you had the dog? I didn't see it mentioned in the post.

Kay

Old 05-04-04, 07:00 AM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
The best thing I have found for walking is a head halter, worked wonders with my very excitable dachshund.

Head halters are NOT MUZZLES, they still allow the dog to open its mouth, pant, drink, eat and bite..if it wants to. Remember a leash is a safety device NOT a correction device!!

They allow the human to easily control the dogs head and therefore the body. The halter applies pressure to the head the way the mother dog did when giving a reprimand and also if the dog pulls the head automatically gets turned back toward the handler. This makes the dog have to focus its attention on the owner for instruction rather that the destination. How can a dog pull to run ahead towards another dog if its head is turned to its handler.

Congrats on the adoption, we've got 3 Dachshunds, all from the SPCA.

Old 05-04-04, 07:27 AM
Thanks

Thanks for your input. We got Watson just last Friday, so it's early on, we just want to set the right standards.

I think I'll look into the head harness to deal with the agressiveness.

The dashing out thing will be harder with my 5 year old's "open door policy."

Old 05-04-04, 04:53 PM
C
You should rapidly get a book on your breed and how to train it. Dogs respond well to training, but the human needs to know how to train the dog. Each breed tends to have its own characteristics. You can build on these traits only if you know what they are.

A one year old dog can learn to sit on command, walk on a leash, down, and many other things. It should be able to learn these in a couple of days. If you have problems, knowing solutions can be a great comfort.

The agressive behavior can be corrected by socializing the dog. It is almost too late to do this at one year.

A dog can benefit greatly from having a private place. I believe in crate training. In a crate, a dog has a private place from the tensions and excitement of the world as well as a place apart while the repairman works in the house.

I strongly recommend good books on training your breed.

Old 05-04-04, 09:25 PM
Got the crate. since he's a mix, I'm not sure what breed to call him. Seems to be some beagle, but all tan with black ticking, no white and a bushy tail that curves over his back.

He seemed to know haw to sit, but I was able to get him to learn to jump for a treat in a few minutes time and he remembered later. Also figured out how to untangle his leash by retracing his steps. Seems very smart.

Looks like dashing out the door is a beagle trait, based on brief internet research. That's probably my biggest concern. We're two blocks from cornfields and that could be a problem come July!

Old 05-05-04, 04:43 PM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Maybe a little child training would help as well, if the doors not left open the dog can't get through it.

Old 05-06-04, 06:37 AM
Of course the child training is going on. But even an adult can forget to guard the opening of a door--especially when coming in from outside. And unfortunately, he seems to be smart enough to understand that that's his better opportunity (as opposed to when we are going out from inside).

The problem isn't doors "left open" it's the mad dash the moment he hears the knob turn!

Old 05-06-04, 06:41 AM
Dogs are smart, arent they LOL. I'm such a sneak that I get the dog to the front door thinking I'm coming in that way, then make a mad dash to get to the side door and run inside!

Dylan is getting better about not running outside when we come in the door. Not fool-proof yet, but getting there thank goodness!

Kay

Ps. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

K.

Old 05-14-04, 02:48 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Beagle

Beagles tend to have a mind of their own. Early obedience training is recommended. They have lots of energy and tend to follow their nose.

Old 05-14-04, 06:47 AM
He's doing better, but still thinks every time the door is opened, he's been released for the hunt. I'm learning that that's a trait. At least he does come back now!

We're not completely certain that he's a beagle mix. Seems to have some of the form and stature and deffinitely has the behavior. He's got to be some kind of scent hound. That curly, bushy tail has us confused though, whatever breed contributed that has deffinitely not watered down the scenting instinct. And then the tan coat with the black ticking 15-18."

Muts are a puzzle!

Unfortunately it may be too late for serious behavior modification since he seems to be at least a year.

Old 05-16-04, 10:23 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Dog training

Perhaps you and your dog would benefit from a dog training class. Keep a rawhide chewie by the door out of reach of the dog. When the dog makes a dash for the door, then he must decide between going out the door or having the chewie you are using as bait. When it comes to dog training, it takes patience, perseverence, and practice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: