I have asthma and kids want a dog....ugh

Old 12-04-04, 04:35 AM
jayp6773
Visiting Guest
I have asthma and kids want a dog....ugh

I would like to know where to find a bichon frise in the cleveland ohio area. It's one of only 5 breeds I can have. No dander! THe others are toy poodle, grey hound, oh crud.. I can't remember the other two.... Well my favorite one was the bischon frise. I just can't find where to get one.
Are there any hypo allergenic cats? (danderless)
thanks,
jay

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-04, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 49 Posts
Try this contact. Got it from the BFCA website:

OHIO
Ann Freeman
Cincinnati
(513) 871-2226

Old 12-04-04, 09:42 AM
jayp6773
Visiting Guest
tow guy

thanks for the lead on the contact. Cincinatti is the exact opposite end of the state. I'm in Cleveland which is the top against the lake and it's on the very bottom. IT's 240 miles to cincinatti from here.... lol. There aint no dog worth driving 480 miles to get. I'd rather have a ceramic one...lol.
Have a good one!
Jay

Old 12-04-04, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are many animals that can be made somewhat dander free by using a speciality product. Natures Miracle Dander Remover and Deoderizer, Allerpet Allergy Relief,Outright Allergy Relief are but a few. Any local vetrerinarian can give you a complete list of whats available. These products are usually applied to the pets coat or bath.
As far as finding a pet, why not try your local animal shelter or rescue. Many families have had to give up their pets because they didn't know about these products. Rescue organizations have taken in many of these Pure Breed animals. You may find what your looking for by using one of these.

As far as the trip to get one out of Cinci. There are "trains" that can asist you. The train consists of people who volunteer to take the animal from point to point. Ususally because they have a planned trip at the same time. If they are not going the full distance they usually meet up with someone at a point between. The trains are usually the same people time after time and are trust worthy. The person you are obtaining the pet from usually has a list of those he/she uses.
Good luck on your search.

Old 12-05-04, 05:07 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You can also go to the AKC web site for breeder referals. By buying a purebred dog, you can be sure of getting the breed with no dander. If you buy an unregistered dog, there is no way of knowing if the girl was bred with something else that has dander and would be a problem for you.

If you find a breeder in your area, visit them and ask lots of questions. Ask to see health certificates, AKC registration papers on both parents, both parents (if the male is on site, but definately the mom), where all the dogs are kept, etc., etc. You want to be sure that you are getting a dog from a reputable breeder, not a puppy mill or broker, and that you don't have a problem with your asthma. If the breeder has a problem with showing you their operation and answering a lot of questions, you should be very cautious!

My wife and I breed Cavaliers (definately would be a problem for you) and we really like the people who spend an hour and ask all the questions; without exception, they have been the ones that have made the best homes for the new puppies.

BTW, once we have a litter that is about a month old, we have several "Puppy Weekends" where puppy buyers are encouraged to visit their puppy; that way, when the puppy goes home, it already knows your scent and makes the transition to the new home a little easier. It also gives us a chance to talk to the people in more depth about the proper care of their puppy. Maybe the breeder you go to would do the same.

Bruce

Old 12-05-04, 10:38 AM
jayp6773
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the help. I will stop by the local vets office here and talk to them about those products. I will also call the apl. and a couple shelters. Thanks for the advice on the trains. The puppy weekend is a great idea. It sounds like you and your wife are really good with breeding and selling dogs to good homes. More often than not, people breed dogs just to turn the cash and they dont really go through the process of who, what, where, and making sure that the people will be a good family for the dog. I'm glad to here that your doing it the right way.
Have a good one and thanks to everyone for the good advice,
Jay

Old 12-06-04, 11:21 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Thank you for the kind words, Jay. We try very hard to do right by the puppies we breed and the people we sell them to. One of the advantages of being a small breeder (6 dogs) is we can give more personalized attention to both the puppies and the buyers.

And we love it!!!!!

Bruce

Old 12-09-04, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The type of breed you want is "hypo allergenic". There are a few breeds that do not cause a problem for people with asthma, allergies,etc.Besides the Bichon you may also look into the Cairn Terrier {Toto from the Wizard of Oz to name one}.We got Max from a shelter about 5 yrs ago with no regets.They are great dogs with alot of love to give & energy to match.Just some FYI Cairns were made to chase vermin from farms in Scotland, so if you get one dont be surprised if they go after rabbits & squirrels in your yard....its in their blood, LOL.What ever you choose,good luck.

Old 12-30-04, 07:53 PM
etcat
Visiting Guest
Red face allergies and asthma

hi there.

Firstly I would suggest calling your State Canine Association for information and numbers of reputable breeders. When you go to visit the dogs - make sure you have lots of contact with them. I too have asthma and I am allergic to cats but I have 2 Cornish Rex cats which I am fine with (they even sleep on the bed) Good Luck

Oh also maybe ask your asthma foundation for some tips - remember pets can be beneficial to our health to.

etcat
western australia

Old 01-26-05, 10:41 AM
Onnendu
Visiting Guest
I noticed you had a Greyhound in your list of hypo-allergenic dogs - I own a Greyhound and from experience they DO shed and there is dander present.

Besides Bichons you could also look into Chinese Crested dogs - there are hairless and powder puff varieties - the hairless only have a bit of hair on their heads, feet and tails. I believe the Coton de Tulear, Havanese and Lowchen are also suppose to be hypo-allergenic. And poodles!

I have allergies as well - to dogs and cats - although you couldn't tell with my houseful of both (2 cats, and 5 dogs) but I have used the Allerpet on my cats (Allerpet-C for cats, and Allerpet-D - you guessed it, for dogs) and it really did help.

Onnendu