4am Habit

Old 12-16-04, 06:03 AM
eobrien
Visiting Guest
4am Habit

My pug puppies are 9 months old now and sleep in a pet bed in the den, out of their crates now. However in recent weeks they've developed a bad habit of waking me up at 4am or 5am to go out sometimes, but mostly for breakfast. When they were in their crates they'd sleep until 630am like me. I'm enhausted. I don't usually feed them that early (giving in sometimes) then they bark or whine or eat something or poop somewhere in that remaining 2 hrs. No sleep for me. Help.

Old 12-16-04, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's a tough spot you're in. Those two are like little kids too I bet. Once they're awake they keep each other up then wake you up.

What helped with us was to keep the place dark and quiet, and never gave in to the temptation to get up. They will quickly learn what gets them what they want, and if barking at 4 a.m. gets the attention they want they will continue till you get up.

It's almost more work raising a puppy into a good dog than raising a child.

But with lots of patience, persistance, and consistency they will learn that you are no push over.

Old 12-16-04, 03:35 PM
C
You mentioned that they are out of their crates. Are they crate trained? If so, put them in the crates to sleep at night to avoid this problem. If not, crate train them so they get up when you want them to.

Old 12-17-04, 07:24 AM
eobrien
Visiting Guest
Yes they are crate trained. We did that for the first 7.5 months, but then they started scratching at the bottom of the crate (loudly) so we let them sleep in their pet bed. That worked fine for the first month, no problems, no accidents (they've been accident free since September) - it's just in recent weeks we've been whining, etc.

I'm afraid if I put them back in their crates at this point they'll scratch and whine for hours. Ignoring it does nothing. It goes on forever. I was thinking a pet door. It's not even as if they want to go out. I open the door and they just look at it. They want attention. Then again I'm afraid if I do ignore it, they will go potty in the house.

Old 12-17-04, 07:41 AM
If you take away there food and water a hour or so before bed time and let them out prior to putting them to bed you shouldn't have to worry about them using the restroom in the morning.

We didn't uncage ours at night till about 1.5 years. When we put her to bed the cage got covered with a sheet and lights out. There were times when she would start barking enough to where I got up and kinda banged on the cage a little and said NO. It took a while but eventually she would stay quiet till one of us got up for the day.

Old 12-17-04, 12:36 PM
C
Mine are still crated at night, just out of habit. It lets me decide when we get up. Let them out just before bedtime, then into the crate. Put an old piece of carpet in the floor of the crate for comfort.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-29-04, 03:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I think dogs are harder to train than children because you have no margin for inconsistency. If you give in sometimes, they will expect you to give in all the time. When my dog wakes me up, I take him outside. When he comes back in, I go back to bed. When he wakes up my wife, he might get food. Guess who he usually wakes up? If you attend only to their needs at night (like going outside) and not their wants (like attention or food), they will eventually only wake you up when they need something.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: