dog gets diarrhea during walking

Old 04-02-05, 08:12 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dog gets diarrhea during walking

I have a 14 year old beagle. He gets diarrhea after about a mile of walking. Otherwise he appears healthy. Is there some kind of medicine or something I can give him to prevent this?

Old 04-02-05, 03:52 PM
R
Red face

Hi-
First you have to know why he's doing it. I'd recommend a vet visit to rule out any digestive problems, especially in an elderly dog. In the absence of health problems, I'd suggest that perhaps his diet might be the problem. Many elderly dogs do better on a dog food that is specially formulated for senior dogs. You may want to try buying a small bag of a premium food for older dogs, mix it with his current food and gradually over several days increase the proportion of the new food until it makes up 100% of the meal. Then, keep him on the new food for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

Old 04-02-05, 04:02 PM
T
After ruling out any underlying health problems, diet issues, etc., it may be simply a matter of getting excited. Make sure dog is not consuming any food or water while on the walk. Some dogs get so used to their diets and water that any change can result in diarrhea.

Old 04-02-05, 09:05 PM
J
Thanks for the replies. I'll change to senior food and see if that makes a difference. I'm currrently feeding him Kibbles n Bits dry, and he choses to eat it late at night around 11 or 12 and has the problem the next day around 5pm. He doesn't eat or drink anything during walking but he does get very excited whenever he sees me pick up his leash, knowing he's about to go for a walk.

Old 04-04-05, 01:50 PM
C
It might be worthwhile to spend a few days with shorter walks to see if he can adapt to the prospect of a walk without getting so excited. The shorter walks may help forfend the diarrhea and let his stomach settle, so to speak.

Old 05-05-05, 07:12 PM
J
Thanks for the help. My dog has been eating the senior food and it seems to have solved the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: