puppy eating poop

Old 06-03-05, 06:55 PM
my86chevy
Visiting Guest
Unhappy puppy eating poop

I have a 4 month old yellow lab and lately for some reason he has been eating his own poop that is in the yard. I have been trying to clean it up when ever I see it but he is still finds it. sometimes you catch him in the act and the other times he will vomit it up in the house after he has been outside (which makes the wife real happy) I remember hearing about this kinda thing a while back on a radio talk show and they were saying that you could give your dog some type of pill or vitamin that might help. Does one one know the name of it or have some other suggestions?

Old 06-04-05, 04:38 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi-
The eating of feces is called coprophagia, and is quite common in dogs, especially pups. It doesn't appear to do them any harm but is quite disgusting to us, especially when they come over afterwards and want to lick your face. Coprophagia may become a learned habit, so it is important to try to keep your dog from indulging in this behaviour as much as you can. Removing the feces as soon as they are produced is an excellent idea. A good strategy is to take the pup out on leash for it to eliminate, then immediately pick up the feces and dispose of them. Here is some more info that may help:

http://www.labradornet.com/coprophagy.html
http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/copraphagia.htm
http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=155

Old 06-16-05, 10:40 AM
katiejuice
Visiting Guest
Exclamation 10 yo Bichon eating cat poop

I have a similar problem, however, my bichon can get his entire head into the hooded cat little box. I turned the box around to face the wall, but my cat is nearly the same size as the bichon and the cat can still get inside the litter box.

The bichon throws up atleast twice a week. What can I do to prevent him from eating cat poop
KatieJuice

Old 06-16-05, 02:32 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi-
Our dogs also love to snack on kitty tootsie rolls, whenever they can get them. What we did is put the cat box into one of the bedrooms and place a baby gate across the doorway to the room. The gate sits about 6" off the floor, high enough that the cat can get in underneath but the dogs can't. If your dog is particularly active and determined it may try leaping over the gate. In that case, partially close the bedroom door to prevent jumping.
Another option is to place the cat box into a closet and tie the closet door so that it only opens wide enough to allow the cat inside. Block the door from the inside with a doorstop or brick to make sure no one accidentally closes it and keeps the cat from getting to his comfort station. You can also try putting the box up high, like up on your clothes dryer.

If your dog is the same size as the cat and can get under the baby gate, try putting the litterbox into a larger cardboard box with high sides (18 " to 2 feet). The cat should still be able to jump over the walls of the cardboard box (make sure the cardboard box is big enough that there is a clear landing space in front of the litterbox), but your dog is unlikely to be as agile.

Make sure that your cat knows where the litter box is, if you decide to move it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: