border collie training

Old 06-17-05, 10:21 AM
wavelenth
Visiting Guest
border collie training

I recently aquired a 18 month old male border collie, I understand
they are smart dogs and can learn many commands. I'm interested
in teaching him to go left, right, back and foward on some kind of
hand signal or verble command, like they do in the contests I see on TV. does anyone know how this is done?

Thanks for any help

Old 06-17-05, 04:32 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi-
Congratulations on your new youngster. Yes, BCs are very intelligent, and require work to do to keep them happy. You might want to consider some active canine sports like frisbee freestyle, herding, flyball or agility. Here's a link to more info on some of the dog sports you might like to try:

http://www.dogpatch.org/dogs/shows.cfm

If a particular sport interests you, just type the name of the sport into the 'google' search engine, along with your state/town, to find out if there are any clubs in your neighbourhood. You don't actually need to have sheep to teach your BC to herd. Many herding clubs maintain a flock of sheep and offer herding classes to their members.

If you'd like to start training, I recommend that you take a beginner obedience class to learn how to work with your dog. Personally, I prefer a non-abusive training style called clicker training, that does not require that you hurt your dog in order to train it. You can find more info on clicker training, and find a clicker trainer close to you at clickersolutions.com.
Clicker training is easily adaptable to train a wide variety of behaviours. I have used it to train my whippets for movie work, which includes behaviours such as sit up, spin, back up, crawl, look left, look right, wave, hide-your-eyes, drop, roll over, speak, and retrieve any item they can pick up, from the laundry basket to a coin. And whippets, as a breed, are considered much less trainable than border collies!

You may also try 'googling' border collie clubs in your city to try to find a trainer or club to work with and figure out what you and your dog would most enjoy doing. Have fun!

Old 06-20-05, 04:17 AM
wavelenth
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thanks for the links and tips, I have introduced him to frisby but he seem
to be eager and able to learn all kinds of things

Old 06-22-05, 02:15 PM
K
You'll need to establish some means of getting the dog's attention, first, but this comes naturally. Usually it's just verbal (e.g. the dog's name) associated with treats and play time and other stuff the dog likes.

Next, the easy one, and a good start point, is "sit". A standing dog naturally sits to look at (or bite) something over it's head. You can make the dog sit with a biscuit, toy (the frisbee, for example), or often just by petting it. The behaviour is prompted by a direct physical stimulus. This alone isn't a trick; it's a door with your foot in it.

"Sit" becomes a *trick* when you link some other *abstract* stimulus to the behaviour, in the dog's mind. So, for example, you always say "sit" at the moment the dog sits, and pretty soon the dog just reflexively sits at the *word*. Or you always raise your hand upward (over the dog's head), with something resting on your open palm; pretty soon the dog sits at this *hand signal* even when there's nothing in your hand, even across the room or the park.

Just as you can gradually substitute direct cues with abstract cues, you can substitute rewards. Again, by applying them together, to make the connection, then phasing one out. This is how the training "walks". Phase out the biscuits and Doritos soon as you can.

I recommend using hand and verbal cues simultaneously, and randomly varying the rewards (often just verbal or none).

Old 08-02-05, 04:14 AM
L
border collie

I have a 15 yr old BC and I couldnt love him more. As per smart its unreal at times. My advice in training just make sure to it while they are puppies for sure. A friend of mine when I got Chuck (the BC) was a dog trainer and she gave me these tips on training. I hope they work for you.

1. Give them food and water and then take it away (dont leave esp water out for them) and then you have only up to 15 min before they have an accident so I usually would take him right out after drinking. That teaches them that they have to go out to go potty. This is only until they learn to go outside then you can of course leave food out. She also told me never to scold him unless he was in the act of going potty in the house. Because believe it or not, its your fault for not letting the animal out.

2. Use a leash whenever training the dog and dont play with him while training him. Confuses them. Train them on one item at a time for 15 min a day. Ex. Sit is so easy he learned it in one day. Take leash stand to the left of him and point to his behind and pull up on leash and say (in a firm voice) Sit at the same time. The first couple of times you'll probably have to push his behind down but pull up on the leash everytime. And praise praise praise when he does it. I used treats as well.

OK my fingers are tired now. So I hope this helps you a little.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: