Ear mite medication?

Old 07-21-05, 12:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ear mite medication?

Hello!! I have 3 cats, one of which has ear mites. Right now, I cannot afford the $75 fo a vet visit, but could probably afford the medication from a site like petmeds.com. I would appreciate the name of the medication if anyone knows it. Hopefully administering it would be easier than trying to give him oral medication which he sprayed all over me when he shook his head (YUK)!!
Thank y'all in advance for any guidance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-05, 09:31 PM
T
Top by your local pet shop for ear mite medication.

http://www.thecatsite.com/Cats/Cat_H...in_Cats/1.html

Old 07-24-05, 09:41 PM
Hirsch,

I picked up some Hartz ear cleaner for my cat when he had ear mites. Its what the mobile vet told me to use. It has oil in it so it grabs on to dirt, mites, etc and then the cat will eventually 'sling' it out of his ear. For awhile I had to use Qtips in his ears to help clean them out because he had an abcess beside his ear that drained down into that ear as well. Peroxide isn't good to use in their ears but once a week for no more than a month.

We used the cleaner for 2 days, then used the peroxide to 'boil' out the mess of mites and fluids, then I use the cleaner again for 3 or 4 more days (you'll know when they're gone).

Oh, it also works on dogs.

Kay

Old 07-26-05, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thank you much!! The mites are just a guess. The cat has black crud in his ears and kinda figured that it had to be mites. I will try this out and see if it helps him. The same cat when sitting on your lap makes you think that he has a furnace in him. In wintertime, when I am wearing jeans and he is on my lap, that area of my leg sweats. Weird isn't it?

Old 07-28-05, 06:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 1 Post
Smile Black crud in ears is mites alright!

Just another two cents worth here...

One way to also help clean the ears is using plain mineral oil. You can basically put it in the ear and smoosh it around. Be sure to have the cats away from things that you don't want splattered, as when they shake their heads, it will go all over. Once the oil has done a bit of settling in the ear, then is the time to use the Qtips and swab out the ear.

When using the mite medication, be sure to follow the directions on the label, as they do contain pesticides, and you can overdo with them. Usually, if one cat has mites, the others do as well, so treat them all at the same time, and for the full course suggested by the label on the bottle.

After the mites are cleared up, a once a month swabbing out with the mineral oil, usually helps keep them mite free, at least in all my years of doing it.

Hope this helps,
RhainyC

Old 08-01-05, 02:04 AM
L
Mites

You can also use a drop of vegetable oil because they will lick it and it wont do any harm and still suffocate the mites. Never use Qtips use a rolled up kleenex there ears are very sensitive. Trust me my cat actually Loves me to clean them she even starts purring.

Last edited by loribh1; 08-01-05 at 02:07 AM. Reason: adding
Old 08-01-05, 02:17 AM
The vet did say that you could use qtips in a cats ear simply because the canal turns before you get near the ear drum. Cats prefer the kleenex to the qtips because qtips tend to tickle the hair in the ears.

And, as another poster mentioned, do make sure that you do the oil in an area that can get 'oiled' because they do shake it out (which is good). We treat the cat outside and it takes two of us on the male. He does not like having the oil put in his ear so we have to hold him down and keep his head still so the oil can get down there. When mom (me ) says run, the kids know that I'm fixing to let lose of the cat and if they don't want it on them they'd better move fast!

After he calms down a little he loves having the qtips and kleenex used on his ears, just a purring away!

Kay