how to kill fleas

Old 07-19-06, 12:32 AM
W
wwc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy how to kill fleas

What is a homemande way to treat my beagles for fleas.

I used to buy frontline from the vet but i'm out of work and can't afford that.
Is there another way i can kill their fleas.

Old 07-20-06, 08:40 AM
N
Hi WWC,

Most of the homemade remedies aren't long lasting and need to be reapplied in a few days. Are your beagles kept in a kennel or are they indoor dogs? Also, do you want to prevent the fleas or do they already have them?

Newt

Old 07-20-06, 08:50 AM
W
wwc
They are indoor dogs but they have a fenced in yard to run in.

They have fleas now.

I have heard something about putting brewers yeast on their food to kill fleas, anything to that?

Old 07-20-06, 11:36 AM
S
killing fleas

This isn't home-made, but it's relativley inexpensive. I went to my local pest control place and I got a package of the stuff they use when they go out and spray...i'll look tonight and see what it is called....but it was $20 for 4 applications. You just mix it with 1 gallon of water and spray indoors and out (I got the sprayer for $12 from home depot) It will kill fleas and ticks and you only have to reapply every 3 months, so $32 and you are good for a year....maybe a neighbor wants to go in halves with you on the stuff.... If your dogs only go indoors or in the yard, just treat that area then get some flea shampoo and a collar from walmart and then you should be good to go

Old 07-20-06, 06:25 PM
W
wwc
That sounds interesting let me know what it's called.

Has anyone heard of the brewers yeast on the dog food to kill fleas , I guess it's supposed to secrete out of their pores and kill the fleas or repel them.

Old 07-21-06, 03:00 PM
N
WWC, you can use natural products to control fleas. Beneficial nematodes can be used in the yard and will work up to 3 months.
http://www.goodpet.com/library/pharmacyFiles/fleacontrol.asp

Boron can be used to kill fleas in the house. Be careful with what you purchase as boron can be toxic in large doses. Here's more info.
http://www.goodpet.com/library/pharmacyFiles/fleacontrol.asp

For flea control and a dog's diet, garlic or garlic mixed with brewer's yeast is helpful. Do a google with the term:
flea + garlic
and you'll find lots of helpful info.

Newt

Last edited by Newt; 07-21-06 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-21-06, 05:32 PM
W
wwc
Thanks thats very helpfull.

Old 07-21-06, 06:29 PM
N
You are very welcome!!

Newt

Old 07-21-06, 06:53 PM
N
WWC, I just received this from my homeopathic vet and it might be helpful to you.
Neem bark powder on dogs 1-888-989-NEEM
Flea free from Green Hope Farms
Lyme powder on Lawn
Herbal collar from Pet Guard

Newt

Old 07-21-06, 08:01 PM
W
wwc
hmmm, i'll look into that,thanks.

Old 07-21-06, 11:09 PM
W
wwc
well I did the surfing and found several sites that say giving garlic to dogs can be dangerous !

Now i'm back to square one.

I guess i'll have to call my vet and see what he says about this subject.

Old 07-22-06, 12:26 AM
N
If garlic is given in large quantities it can be a problem, but there are supplements with garlic and brewers yeast for dogs and are quite reasonably priced.
http://www.dog-training.com/brewersyeast.htm

Do ask your vet what they think.
Newt

Old 07-22-06, 03:04 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Raid flea killer, the one that says it kills fleas AND the eggs works. Just spray it on ALL the carpet and let it sit.

For the dogs, I know this sounds funny, but bathe them in Dial soap. I don't know what's in it, but it kills fleas.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything short of professional pest control that can contain fleas outdoors, the area is just too big, and the chemicals available to the public just aren't strong enough.

Old 07-23-06, 10:45 AM
Garlic and Brewer's Yeast to repel fleas---

Works great!

We have 2 Collies who were on front line for a while, but i noticed each time I applied it they were more lethargic than the time before. I spoke w/ my vet and he recommended that I try garlic and yeat supplements.

For a 70-75lb dog I give 3 300 mg doderized Garlic each day (one in the am and 2 in the pm) and 2 7.5 grain brewer's yeast tablets ( one in am and one in pm). The deoderized garlic means they don't get stinky breath from it.

I buy mine on-line from a vitamin supply comany--don't have the exact cost, but there were pretty inexpensive. Most vitamin stores carry these, but a few of the upscale chains are quite pricey.

I don't have a problem with fleas in the yard, but they mutts spend a couple of hours a day out there and I have not had any fleas on them or in the house--been using this stuff for a little over a year now.

Part of the therapy is to keep a consistent amount of BOTH in the dog's system.

I got lucky, they think these are extra special cookies reserved for after their walks.

Check out Dr. Michael Fox, the Animal Doctor--his site has really good info on this subject.

Old 07-23-06, 12:56 PM
W
wwc
Hmmm thanks for the advice.

Sounds good.
I'll check with my vet tomorrow and see what he has to say on the subject, sounds like he won't have too much a problem with the yeast and garlic already made pills maybe.
I like the idea od dial soap, thats interesting.

What type of soap, hand? liguid ? what type gold original ?

Old 07-23-06, 05:30 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just the bar soap, though the gold color liquid might be easier to use. I assume it has essentially the same ingrediants.

Old 08-08-06, 06:37 PM
W
wwc
would the soap dry out their skin and make them itchy.

Old 05-16-09, 09:11 AM
S
Exclamation Help

okay me and my family are staying wit my fiancees family and they have fleas every where in the carpet and my daughter is being biten like 40 times a day does anybody know a home remidie to get rid of them or at least find something to keep them off of her!!!

Old 05-16-09, 09:53 AM
put out shallow trays of water with a little dish washing soap where the fleas are heavy

the fleas land in the water cant get out and drown

if you can hang a light bulb over the tray its even better because the heat will attract them

we've done this for years and it works

you have to do it for awhile because once you gt one generation you need to get the next before the lay eggs

Old 05-16-09, 10:47 AM
N
Earlier in this thread I posted a link to a borate that can be used in the house.

From this site about boric acid.
http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/boric_acid.html

Fleas:
Simply sprinkle it on the carpet, ( same mix as above for silverfish) brush it in so it settles down and in the fiber, let it sit for about a week then vacuum and fleas will be gone, eggs and all!
Newt

Old 05-17-09, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 5 Posts
Another thing to try is go buy a heavy duty flea collar, and cut about 3 inches off it, place it in your vacum cleaner bag and vacum the living daylights out of the carpet. Then, take the bag off, place it inside a DARK coloured trash bag, and knot the trash bag closed as tightly as possible. Place the trash bag out in the sun (hopefully it is sunny there), if not sunny, at least outside.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-09, 11:32 AM
S
THANX:confused:

Thank yall so much but do u know something i could use like stuff around the house cuz we are broke as a joke

Old 05-17-09, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 173 Votes on 139 Posts
do u know something i could use like stuff around the house
Did you read mango man's post above? If you don't have dishwashing detergent, you can buy a bottle at the Dollar Store. Doesn't have to be an expensive brand.

Old 05-17-09, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
What Mango said really does work..it can be something as simple as a nightlight (the ones with the real 4W bulbs, not LED) and put a pan of water with a few drops of soap, or even the rinse from washing your hands.

Fleas jump towards heat..just that little 4W bulb will attract them.

Old 05-17-09, 04:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 5 Posts
Well, you can still do the vacumming just without the flea collar. But you have to really work hard to really vacum everywhere. Go over the carpets in every direction several times. Then take the bag out and put outside (even if only tied up in an old grocery bag) get it out in the sun, and heat. You will have to vacum every day to make a dent. But with that and the saucers of dish soapy water, that should cut down your problem a lot.

Old 05-17-09, 09:13 PM
N
Originally Posted by sapphiresmommy View Post
Thank yall so much but do u know something i could use like stuff around the house cuz we are broke as a joke
You can purchase boric acid in a pharmacy for about $3.00 for 4 oz.
http://www.americarx.com/Products/12754.html

Newt

Old 08-15-09, 07:24 PM
J
I used Borax soap powder, and it worked great! I sprinkled it all over the floor and the next day I vacuumed it all back up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: