3 inside cats - fleas

Old 08-10-06, 04:56 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 inside cats - fleas

Our 3 cats (one calico, one short har, one long hair) do not venture outside, except for one who will step on the porch for a minute or two. She hasn't been outside like that in months, though.

Well, they've all got fleas now. We got some OTC spray and drops, but not real hopeful about their effectiveness. I've read the couple of threads on dogs and fleas, anything to add relative to cats?

Oh, and one (the calico) is really skittish. She came home with us accidentally from a friend's home in the engine compartment of our van - a 600 (yes, six hundred) mile trip. So, she's hard to get close to just to pet, let alone give her a bath or get her in a pet carrier to got to the vet. Any tips on how to treat her would be good too.

Old 08-10-06, 06:52 PM
J
I can't help with the fleas, but I have never known a cat who did not like fish.

Toss her a little piece of fish, and then hand feed the other cats TWO pieces of fish. Cats aren't stupid, she'll be winding around your ankles in no time.

The only people I know who sucessfully got rid of fleas had someone [me] flea-bomb their house while they were on vacation with the pet.

Old 08-10-06, 09:38 PM
S
Hmm, not encouraging.

My wife and 11 year old managed to get all 3 shampoo'd tonight. Tomorrow is spray the house time. We're trying to avoid the house bomb. We'll see.

Old 08-11-06, 03:19 AM
J
Don't forget to change the vacuum bag.

Double bag it, and all floor sweepings, and remove them from the house immediatey.

Old 08-11-06, 07:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There was this stuff called X-O-TROL flea and tick repellent.Kills fleas & ticks up to 9 days this is for cats.Kills ticks that may spread lyme disease.The directions on the can say.{There was this stuff called X-O-TROL flea and tick repellent.Kills fleas & ticks up to 9 days this is for cats.Kills ticks that may spread lyme disease.The directions on the can say.Spray the animal from a distance of 8-12 inchs.Start spraying at the tail,moving the dispenser rapidly and making sure the animal's entire body is covered,including the legs and under the the body. Fluff the hair as you spray so the spray will penetrate the skin.The spray should wet the ticks thoroughly.Repeat as needed.Use in pets sleeping area or on bedding,walls,furniture,floors and carpeting to control reinfestatation. also kills fleas and ticks already on your pet.I got this stuff at a discount store.

BTW not all of my 6 cats like fish.

Old 08-11-06, 08:17 PM
S
Well, we decided not to mess around. We've got a pill of some kind from Petsmart that we managed to get them all to eat that's supposed to kill the fleas in 30 minutes. Then we treated them all with Frontline.

I say we, I was at work, I meant my wife

Then shampooed all the carpets, picking up nearly everything we could. Once the carpets are dry, we're going to spray the entire house with some spray she got at Petsmart as well. Gotta be out of the house for 30 minutes for that stuff. That'll be tomorrow.

We were told by a friend who has several animals that fleas don't really gather in bedding or carpet for long. They want a host and only stick around elsewhere until they find one. She also said that Frontline was the only thing that worked on their Dalmatian when he got fleas real bad.

Old 08-11-06, 08:19 PM
S
Oh, I forgot to say. The skittish one was the easiest to get to take the pill. She just ate it like a cat treat. :P

Who woulda thunk it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-12-06, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 5 Posts
I wanted to add to this thread and advise that although Frontline is ok...in my years experience, as both cattery owner and vet tech, Advantage works much better, in my opinion.

Also there is a flea spray out for indoors that is in a purple can, I think it is RAID brand, but it is a micro fine mist and the can sprays upside down. This product contains a IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) and seems to work even better than bombing the house.

In all my years of using this combination, we have never had any problems. We also use Advantage on our dogs.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-12-06, 01:36 PM
N
For anyone reading this thread I feel I need to mention NOT to use any HARTZ flea products. I'm not one to write against a company or product unless I have evidence of problems, and I do.

My daughter used the Hartz flea repellent on her 3 German shepherd dogs and, within a couple of hours, had to RUSH them to the vet as they had all been poisoned and were having convulsions. I got on the web and did some research and was astonished to find many articles about the hazards of this brand of flea products for both dogs and cats.
http://www.lapr.org/consumer_alerts.htm#hartz_flea
http://www.hartzvictims.org/

There's lots more if you want to search at google:
Hartz flea + poison

Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware

Newt

Old 08-12-06, 08:30 PM
S
Thanks everyone. For now we have no fleas, which is obviously good. After the first spray product and the flea shampoo, we still had fleas almost immediately after. After the pills (Cat Star, Nitenpyram), the Frontline and the carpet & upholstery spray (Zodiac Advanced Indoor insect spray) we seem to be clean. We may keep up the Frontline through the rest of the summer just to be sure.

In 13+ years of owning indoor cats, we've never had a problem with fleas before so hopefully we can go back to normal now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: