1 yr old Male Cat missing the box

Old 09-29-06, 12:12 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question 1 yr old Male Cat missing the box

Hello everyone. It has been a long time since I have been on here. I think the last time was back in January when we adopted our dog from the local shelter. Anyway he rounds out the family of a female cat 2 yrs old, male cat 1 yr old and the dog 5 yrs old. The dog always wants to play with the cats but they don't want to be bothered so he is smart enough to let them alone. Between my wife, daughter and myself we play with each of them and give each one individual attention for at least an hour every day.

The problem is and it started about 6 months ago; Sergio, the male cat uses the bath tub for #2 only. He knows where the box is and uses it the rest of the time. We have closed off the bathroom and when this is done he uses the box for all purposes. He never has accidents. Over the past 6 months we have occasionaly opened the bathroom door. Within an hour or so, Sergio returns to the tub and deposits #2. How can we break him of this habbit? He is a skittish cat, a loaner and when he wants to play will cry for your attention.

We need to resolve this unsanitary issue as quickly as possible and also need to start leaving the bathroom door open in the winter so the room can air after warm showers so mold and mildew does not start to develop.

Any and all advise is welcome. Lastly this bath is to small to put a litterbox in and again when it is closed off, Sergio has no problem going in the box, so it is not an issue of not knowing where it is.

Thanks everyone,

Doug

Old 09-29-06, 12:47 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The cat obviously prefers a slick surface, when available, for elimination. Perhaps providing the cat a litter box with little or no litter so that it has a slick surface in the litter box may help. Perhaps a Scat Mat in the bath tub to make step there uncomfortable would deter the cat from eliminating there. Or, spreading towels in tub to change the surface from slick to soft may solve the problem.

Old 09-29-06, 05:54 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another possibility is that Sergio needs his own litter box if he is sharing with the other cat. He may prefer to make these deposits where no other cat has. Is there any way you can give him his own box if he doesn't have one? Maybe you could start by putting it in the bathtub so he knows it is his.

Newt

Old 09-30-06, 09:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Hmm, sounds like he simply prefers going in the tub, when available. Some cats are like this.

My suggestion is to do what I have done in the past with a cat who insisted on doing the same thing...fill the tub with an inch of water and leave the door open. It only took twice before my cat who did this stopped doing it completely.

He will jump in and get a big surprise. It won't hurt him at all but be prepared for a cat to come screaming (WET) out of the bathroom.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-06, 10:38 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RhainyC, what a great idea! Wish I'd thought of that.

Newt

Old 10-02-06, 10:50 AM
M
Thumbs up Thanks Everyone

I appreciate everyones ensight. I do not think it is a shared box issue, because when the door is closed Sergio has no problem using the only box in the house. Prior to trying the Scat Mat that 12pole suggested I am going to try Rhainy C's inch of water idea. I am hopeful after a couple of wet feet this will be a thing of the past.

I will keep you all posted and again thanks for the ideas.

Regards,

Doug

Old 10-02-06, 07:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Newt
RhainyC, what a great idea! Wish I'd thought of that.

Newt
*Chuckling*

Cheap easy and usually works

Old 10-11-06, 12:08 PM
M
Talking Maybe Working

Hello Everyone! Just a lil update. We did not try the water in the tub until Monday as we were going away for a long weekend and my in-laws were staying at our house with our kids. So we just had them keep the door closed. We put water in the tub and opened the door on Monday. It is almost like Sergio knows because he has not even gone anywhere near the bathroom. I know that it has only been 3 days now and he would not use the tub all the time either so I guess time will only tell if we get a wet cat.

Thanks again for the advise and I will give you an additional update later on.

Regards,

Doug

Old 10-24-06, 05:55 AM
M
Unhappy The cat senses no water!!!!!!!!! UPDATE

Hi everyone, Well we had kept water in the tub since Oct 9 and Sergio never went anywhere near it. He showed no interest of even going in the bathroom. My wife works from home, so she can even state without a question that we never had a wet cat. Last night my daughter did not put the plunger in correctly and the tub slowly drained. This morning Sergio left his deposit. It was like he knew that there was no water in the tub. Oh well back to keeping the tub with water, because that does seem to work.

Thanks for all the help.

Doug

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: