Barking???

Old 10-06-06, 01:58 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Barking???

My dog is always barking. I don't know what to do. I tried a muzzle. That didn't work. What else can I do? Sorry of lack of information. My dog is Husky/Shepard. Male. 1 year old. Everytime somebody walks by the fence, he just goes nuts. Loud barking, too. Not just little arffs. LOL. He is neutered. i hope this is more info. Thx.

Last edited by KDAWG89; 10-07-06 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-06-06, 02:23 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
There are collars you can buy that deliver a shock to the dog every time it barks. I've never had one bad enough that I thought I needed to resort to this, but I've heard they're very effective.

Old 10-06-06, 10:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
First off, you didn't give much information...

When does the dog bark, what is going on in the house/yard/area? How old is the dog, is it spayed/neutered, are there children in the house...

The more information you can give the better we will be able to suggest a solution.

First and foremost in my opinion, is crate training every dog. It allows the dog a safe place to go, and a quiet time for the owner. (Once the dog is trained to crate)

Please give us some more info so we can hopefully find a good solution for this issue.

My two bits on the *Bark Collars* and *Electric Training* Collars...they are for hard core cases that cannot be trained any other way, and often times they simply do not work properly, without proper doghandler experience with these sort of devices.

Old 10-07-06, 06:52 AM
J
Some times a dog SHOULD bark.

[I really wish mine had the other night ...]

I successfully trained my dog to growl instead of bark in some circumstances. He only barks at the mail-carriers now, and that IS exactly when you want a dog to bark.

I also NEVER leave him outside when he barks; one bark and he comes in the house. So, he only barks when he wants to come in.

But I have a great dog.

Old 10-07-06, 07:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by RhainyC
My two bits on the *Bark Collars* and *Electric Training* Collars...they are for hard core cases that cannot be trained any other way, and often times they simply do not work properly, without proper doghandler experience with these sort of devices.
Rhainy is right. I, maybe unwisely, made the assumption that this was a hard core case.

Old 10-07-06, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
As an alternative, there are ultrasonic devices that sound off (at a dog's hearing frequency) in response to barking. Have never personally used one, so I don't know how effective they are.

Old 10-07-06, 12:05 PM
N
Hi KDAWG,

I agree that more info would be most helpful. Dogs bark for many different reasons. Take a look here to see if you can determine why your dog is barking. It is most important to address this as soon as possible.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1551&articleid=153

You mention that when someone walks by the fence he barks. If your dog is chained outside, this is one of the worst situations for dogs and they tend to bark alot and become very territorial. Is your dog chained outdoors? When the dog barks at people walking by he needs to be corrected immediately. You might be able to get a friend or two to help you with this. You need to stay outside with your dog at all times until he is trained. Put him on a leash with the collar up high near his ears. As soon as one of your friends walks by, give a GENTLE tug on the leash and the command 'NO'. No need to be rough. As soon has he begins to bark, do this each time, Only a GENTLE tug. You want to break the cycle. It would be best if you can have him sit when people walk by.

He should also have a long walk every day. He is being territorial and probably thinks that barking will make people go away. Getting out on long walks will help to tire him and give him new smells and sights to stimulate his mind.

If walking him is problematic and he pulls you or is aggressive with other dogs or people, consider some training with a dog psychologist. This site has some VERY helpful info and a trainer who uses these techniques would be ideal.
http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

Newt

Old 10-07-06, 12:36 PM
J
Barking when people approach your territory is not bad behavior for a dog; yours is just taking it to extreme. He is still very young and very trainable, and mix of two very smart trainable breeds.

Unfortunately, these are not lazy and peaceful breeds; he is probably bored out of his mind. They are also not subservient breeds; they need constant re-inforcement of their place in the pack order.

Your dog may need more occupation, more training, and more exposure to strangers. Frequent walks, on a leash, will accomplish all three. Frequent as in every morning, evening, and night. And walking a dog on a leash without pulling requires better training than teaching one to heel. It is also easier on your yard; it is just too easy to only clean up the yard once a week. When you walk the dog, you have to clean up immediately.

As to barking:
Before I was moving into an apartment for a year, whenever my dog barked I made him sit and stay, and did not move myself. I encouraged him to growl by growling at him a lot. When he growled I immediately went to him, praised him, and checked out what he was growling at, looked out the window, whatever. He now growls at everything but the doorbell and the screen-door.

The down side is that he probably just growled the entire time someone broke into my car the other night. Sigh.

Old 12-18-06, 09:45 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhomeowner
[I really wish mine had the other night ...]

I successfully trained my dog to growl instead of bark in some circumstances. He only barks at the mail-carriers now, and that IS exactly when you want a dog to bark.

I also NEVER leave him outside when he barks; one bark and he comes in the house. So, he only barks when he wants to come in.

But I have a great dog.
Often that leads to excessive and constant barking if one leaves one's dog outside when one leaves the house. Great for the owner, not so great for the neighbors.

Old 12-19-06, 07:04 AM
Our non-barking dog would bark constantly while we were not home when we lived in our last hourse. Why? Separation anxiety (likely) and harrassment from the neighbors (witnessed by the Lab's dad across the street). Our dog grew up on a ranch, so the big city was too much noise for him. We quickly grew tired of the city too... moved to the hills and now we can leave him out and he does not bark (except at that pesky squirrel who deserves it).

We tried a citronella collar. You load it up with citronella and when the dog barks, he gets a squirt of smelly but harmless citronella. Works on some dogs. Romeo learned to bark and turn his head so he wouldn't get sprayed. Darn border collies... outsmarting the humans again. But it's worth a try. We rented one from the local humane society.

But everyone else is right, find out why he barks and then address that issue. There are trainers who specialize in dog "issues", and I am sure the internet has lots of info too. If you don't address the root of the problem, you are not addressing the problem.

Old 12-19-06, 02:18 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
PMFA, but are you on the Western Slope or the Front Range??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: