Dancing Cat

Old 11-25-06, 09:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dancing Cat

I have a six month old cat that recently adopted me.

He has an interesting little quirk - before eating or drinking out of his dishes, he does a brief "two-step" dance in front of the dish. It lasts about ten seconds, and is very distinct, almost like a ritual.

I asked the vet when I took him in for a check-up, shots, and to be neutered, but she shrugged and said he was just "quirky". He checked out fine otherwise.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this before, and/or had any ideas what he's up to?

Thanks!

Old 11-25-06, 11:19 PM
N
Hi RDN,

We have a 16 year old (almost 17) male that also has a ritual before he drinks. He likes to take his front paw and 'scratch' on the table where he drinks before he drinks. He's been doing this all his life as he was born in this house. He doesn't do it before he eats, but always before he drinks.

Newt

Old 11-26-06, 12:32 AM
Hi Newt,

Thanks for the reply. I wish I could hear their thoughts even for just a few minutes. It might explain alot!

When you think about it, it's strange but interesting behavior. At least they're not "normal" - which suits me just fine!

Hopefully I'll have him around as long as you've had your cat!

Thanks again Newt!

Old 11-26-06, 12:52 AM
N
You are so very welcome! I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a 'normal' cat. His mother is so very different from him. He's so very much like Garfield that the vet techs call him Garfield! They think he's 'cool'. He seems to think humans are for opening doors, cans of food, filling the water bowl, etc. Dogs are something he has to put up with. LOL He's definately a 'character'.

Newt

Old 11-27-06, 09:52 PM
I can identify with the " 'tude " you describe! This guy has got the coolness routine down pat. Nothing seems to rattle him - he's one of the most laid back cats I've ever seen. He's only been here a short time and he KNOWS he owns the place!

He has a few interesting physical features as well. Six toes on each of his front paws, and a small two-inch tail - both features he seems to be quite proud of. Other than a bit of manx, I have no idea of his breed.

Oh, one other thing: he always insists on knowing who is in the shower. He'll sit outside the shower and tap on the door until you open it and he can see who it is. Once that's done, you can go back to your business and he waits outside the shower until you finish, then he's off.

In spite of the quirks, the whole family loves the little guy, and he seems to enjoy being here, so I guess that's all that really matters.

Thanks again Newt!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: