Training a Puppy to Accept a Leash

Old 01-25-07, 06:19 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Training a Puppy to Accept a Leash

Puppy is 4 months old, and we have been trying to get her to accept a leash. After four 15-minute sessions in the yard (at between 32 and 40 degrees F) she is either dragging behind and trying to chew the leash, or she is springing out ahead. I keep the leash to 4 feet.

Is this normal puppy behaviour that will resolve itself by persistence on my part?

Is 15 minutes too long for a puppy leash session?

On an average, how long might I expect for her to accept the leash?

Are there any websites that can offer me some ideas for this?

Old 01-29-07, 09:26 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Pipsisiwah,

It should only take a few tries to get your puppy to accept the leash. You could even practice indoors. Your puppy needs to know that a walk is just that, a walk. She should exit the house behind you and walk next to your or slightly behind you. Once she has done her bathroom business she should have a long walk for the exercise. There is a great method for doing this.

If you have cable tv, The Dog Whisperer - Cesar Milan, is on the National Geographic channel. There are new eposides and reruns on several times a week. He teaches dog psychology and how to become the pack leader to your dog. He also has a website with loads of valuable information.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/index.html
http://dogpsychologycenter.com/

I have used his techniques many times and they always work.

Newt

Old 01-30-07, 08:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pipsisiwah View Post
Puppy is 4 months old, and we have been trying to get her to accept a leash. After four 15-minute sessions in the yard (at between 32 and 40 degrees F) she is either dragging behind and trying to chew the leash, or she is springing out ahead. I keep the leash to 4 feet.

Is this normal puppy behaviour that will resolve itself by persistence on my part?

Is 15 minutes too long for a puppy leash session?

On an average, how long might I expect for her to accept the leash?

Are there any websites that can offer me some ideas for this?

Hi Pipsisiwah,

I'm new here but I've had several years exeperience working with dogs on several levels so many I can help.

You may want to encourage your puppy to accept the leash by distracting her with treats. Attach her leash to her collar and when she starts to drag behind you distract her by offering her some treats and while feeding her encourage her to start walking with it.

You can also try this with the bolting as well.

Old 01-30-07, 09:45 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Yes, I watch Cesar whisper to the dogs. The man is really gifted. I hope his show doesn't turn too commercial like a lot of the really helpful ones do.

Yesterday was the third walk for Rachel, a 4-month-old Boston Terrier. She did better than the first two walks.

She doesn't really drag behind, she just stops when something behind her attracts her, then she faces the attraction and freezes.

When a pickup truck goes by, she is apprehensive and stops and stares at it until it is out of sight. I believe she is afraid of it.

She is afraid of other walkers and dogs, but when a boy came up to us from behind, he joined us and Rachel walked between us with no problem.

Right now the biggest problem is that she tends to walk at my left, then moves in front and to the right of our path. Not sure how to work with this.

She is definitely nervous, and I hope the puppy school next week will break her into other people and other dogs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: