Dog Hematoma?

Old 03-28-07, 09:51 AM
B
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Dog Hematoma?

My dog had these two soft lumps appear, one over his eye and the other on the front of his shoulder. The one over his eye disappeared overnight, the other continues to grow.

I thought it was just puss or whatever and I could poke it with a needle to drain it. Yesterday I was told it's a hematoma containing blood and I should bring him to a vet.

It's soft, about half the size of a golf ball and doesn't give him any pain.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Baldwin

Old 03-29-07, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A Hemotoma, a blood fill lump is not painful to a dog but it is irritating to say the least.

It should be drained by a vet, if you try it yourself you run the risk of infection.

I had a Lab that had three of them over her lifetime, they all were caused by running into something, the biggest one was caused by running into a full 5 gallon can of diesel that I was walking with and she hit it running full tilt with her head, ouch. After she hit it she stopped cold in her tracks and looked at me like "why did you do that?"
It was swollen to the size of an orange the next day.

Mark_ms

Old 03-30-07, 06:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 5 Posts
I have to agree a trip to the vet is in order...Promptly.

You do not mention how these lumps appeared, or if your dog had some sort of trauma, that may have caused them. The lump could be a hematoma, or it could also be something else. You don't mention who told you that it was a hematoma.

Anytime a lump appears without a surface (visible) wound, it is always something a vet should check. Mark is correct in that *IF* it is a hematoma, it is not something that is really painful, but it still does need draining and to be properly done avoids the risk of infection or worse.

I am also concerned about the one that *disappeared* over his eye. Please be sure to mention that to your vet, so that also can be investigated.

Please keep us posted.

Old 03-30-07, 09:33 AM
B
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Well...I guess I misunderstood.

Talked to the ex-wife again today (she worked at an animal shelter for a few years) and she said it is a tumor that LOOKS like a hematoma. No trauma that I know of, they just showed up. He has rather long hair so maybe I didn't notice them right away.

She also said DO NOT poke it with a needle, bring him to the vet.

To clarify: He had the tumors for a while then the one over his eye disappeared overnight.

Thanks, off to the vet we go.

Baldwin

Old 03-30-07, 09:56 AM
I realize you are off to the vet, which is the right decision. A magically disappearing lump can be alot of things - an abcess that "popped" on it's own comes to mind, and you'll definitely want to treat something yucky like that properly to reduce infection. Or a spider or bug bite that swelled up and went away...

Again lumpy bumpies can be a whole lot of things, some gross, some dangerous, some benign... always have a vet check 'em out.

One of our dogs has a fatty lump on his chest, which we left in place since it would be more uncomfortable to remove it than leave it be.

Old 01-01-08, 12:15 AM
Hi Everyone!
My golden retriever had fatty deposits. He ended up getting quite a lot of them. Like 5 or so. Which to me, is a lot. And as it turns out...one needs to have every lump checked. Just like in humans. My golden ended up with cancer. Not that I'm saying your dog has cancer! Everything just needs to be checked. I worked in a vet's office for 4 years and learned alot, but there still so much I don't know. All I can say is, if it looks suspicious, get it checked. If your vet doesn't give your pet the attention that you think the situation deserves find another! Better to be safe than sorry!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: