immediate relief for dog

Old 04-25-07, 03:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
immediate relief for dog

my dog is constipated, what can i do to get her immediate relief? any advice i would highly appreciate.

Old 04-25-07, 03:23 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Dog should visit the vet to rule out any underlying health issues that may be causing constipation. As in humans, constipation is usually a diet issue (lack of fiber) and not enough liquids. Sometimes dogs swallow things that cause a blockage. Lack of exercise will slow down the bowels and other bodily functions. Worms can also impede bowels.

Exercise your dog. Make sure it gets plenty of water. Take it to the vet to rule out medical problems. The vet will be able to recommend any dietary changes. Do not give your dog any of the 'wonder' products for constipation without consultation with vet. Doing so without ruling out medical problems would place your dog at risk.

Old 04-25-07, 03:44 PM
i have consulted the vet. yesterday he cleaned her anal glands and gave her a shot of cortisone. he said she should feel better today. she seems to be worse today, i called the emergency number and he said to give her more vegetable oil. i have but she still has not gone yet, ( this as about 45 minutes ago) he said if she doesn't go by a.m. to bring her in for xray to see if something else may be going on. i just wondered if you knew of anything else that may give her some relief.

Old 04-25-07, 06:16 PM
T
Following vet's instructions is best. To try anything DIY could further complicate the dog's problem and jeopardize health. Vegetable oil does not stimulate the dog's bowels. To expect a constipated dog to have done its business within 45 minutes of a dose is expecting too much. Oil coats the stool, making it easier to pass and prevents straining. Encourage your dog to drink water and take him for running, jumping, and walking to stimulate his body. Exercise will stimulate elimination. Some therapeutic massage will also relax the dog and relieve its stress and stimulate its body.

Old 04-26-07, 09:54 AM
L
I have an 18 year old dog that doesn't like to go at times and acts constipated....usually if I walk her where other dogs frequent, she'll go then!

Old 04-26-07, 12:13 PM
T
Odor where other dogs have done their business can be a stimulant, too.

Old 04-28-07, 12:20 AM
O
I had an olderdog once that suffered from bouts of constipation.
You have to really like the dog but anal massages worked for him.

Many animals will lick their young to stimulate a BM you can do the same with your thumb, not a lot of pressure just sooting gentle circular motions
Like I said you have to really like the dog

Old 04-28-07, 09:39 AM
T
You might want to wear a glove if giving anal massage. It is true that mothers lick their pups to stimulate them to do their business. It's pupply potty training!

Old 04-28-07, 08:35 PM
M
Natural Relief

Feed your dog a dose of applesauce. Make sure it does not have a lot of additives. Organic is best. After about 2 daily feedings he will begin to get relief.
If he dosn't like applesauce hide it with some other food.

Old 06-04-07, 08:43 PM
I know this is an older post, but wanted to add to what Twelvepole wrote. Do follow the vets advice and don't force the dog into a bowel movement. I had several puppies here and really have to watch them. They eat the weirdest things.

Bandit was constipated and would drink water like crazy. Then he would throw up the water. No food, just water. I was heading out the door with him to the vets when he threw up...a sock. He had swallowed one of my daughter's footies, whole.

My point is that trying to force him to have a bowel movement may actually move something in his stomach the wrong way that needs to come out surgically or either through vomiting it up.

Last edited by kaybyrd; 06-04-07 at 08:45 PM. Reason: correcting spelling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: