Nonsurgical alternative for stomach obstruction?

Old 06-12-07, 04:09 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nonsurgical alternative for stomach obstruction?

Does anyone have any ideas for a non-surgical intervention for a 20 lb 1 year old puppy who has something stuck in his stomach? We got x-rays and can't make out what is in there. We can not afford surgery so this option is out of the question. He has been drinking water and is hydrated. I am feeding him canned salmon and mineral oil and he has been taking in a little bit. So far (in the past hour) he has eaten about a teaspoon full. I have been presenting the salmon to him every 30 minutes and he only takes a couple of licks each time it is presented. Does anyone have ideas or heard of any tricks we should try? We love this dog a lot and will try everything that we can afford.

Old 06-13-07, 10:26 AM
H
Since the objected has already passed, i'm afraid your only option is surgery. I'd call around to different vets and find one that accepts a payment plan. You need to get that out of there it's dangerous, and can be blocking the intestines.

Old 06-13-07, 01:36 PM
C
Indeed, you need to pursue the surgery. An obstruction in the bowel that keeps the dog from being interested in eating is sufficient to cause death. Call around.

Old 06-14-07, 12:18 AM
K
Ok update

Our dog has started eating people food. I am feeding him small portions of people food (hot dogs, salmon, rice, beef) laced with about a shot of mineral oil. So far he has passed a piece of a toy. From what I saw in the x-ray there are probably a lot more pieces in there. But we have him eating and defacating so I guess that is half the battle.

Old 06-14-07, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 5 Posts
You don't state what kind of toy, or what the piece was from...

My main concern here is perforation of the intestine, along with the actual blockage. If the intestine gets perforated, it can cause almost surely fatal results.

Please reconsider surgery.

Keep us posted.

Old 06-19-07, 01:53 PM
K
We are not sure exactly which toys they are. He has a lot of doggy chew toys because he really likes chewing. In the x-ray it appeared to be a jumbled mass of toys. Our theory is that he has had the toy pieces in there for a long time and then he ate one more toy hat gummed up the works. The mineral oil appeared to be working we had a regular dog this weekend but then yesterday he stopped eating again and started vomiting. So we are back to the mineral oil today.

Old 06-20-07, 06:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am sorry to hear he is not doing well again. As I mentioned before, the dangers of simply trying to let him pass the toys are something I wouldn't recommend. I would suggest the surgery at this point, once again. It is not very likely after this many days, that he will pass the objects easily.

Please keep us posted.

Old 06-21-07, 12:32 AM
K
2 more toy pieces about the size of a larger marble and a couple of pieces of string came out today and he is eating dog food again. Yippeeee!! This has been quite a roller coaster ride as this dog is my love. He was the most hyperactive puppy we ever saw and became a hyperactive dog that somehow finds his way into mischief no matter what you do. He reminds me of the "Marley & Me" dog but on speed. We do 2 hour walks on weekdays and 4 hour walks on weekends. (We walk 4-8 miles a day.) I have lost about 25 pounds so far. My children also walk him while they ride a bike. All of this done to tire him out so he won't run crazy around the house and chew up stuff. He is a very energetic and mischievious dog which fits into our family perfectly. We do doggy school every weekend and he has always placed in the top 3 of each class. He is truly a part of our family and we wish that surgery was possible but we are also afraid that this dog has not learned his lesson and we will be back in the same situation within a couple of months. (Just the other day, as we were taking a break during walking, he found a bone in the grass and had it crushed into three pieces and was about to swallow it but I was able to fish it out of his mouth before he was able to swallow.) When he got neutered we tried to make him stay still by locking him in cages when we weren't at home. He figured out how to climb out. We then attached a heavier roof to the cage tied on with heavy gauge wire and he was able to chew his way out. When locked into a smaller room he barks incessantly and broke through a window. He is a 20lb dog with the strength of a pit bull. We are pretty sure he will not stay still enough to heal following surgery. In addition to the cost factor, surgery just doesn't make sense at this time. So far our massages and mineral oil seem to be working. The last mineral oil dose we gave was Tuesday morning and the 2 toy poop came out on wednesday morn.
If he stops eating dog food again next week we will do another round of mineral oil. Do you guys know if there is ensure for puppies? When he is not eating food he continues to drink so maybe we can supplement his diet with liquid nutrition if something like this is available. If there is no such thing as doggy ensure, do you guys think any of the ingredients in people ensure/pediasure will be harmful to dogs? Oh yeah our dog (Pooka) is 20 lbs. and just turned 1 year old on June 7. He is a daschound/chihuahua mix.

Old 06-22-07, 07:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am glad to hear that more has passed. As for nutrition for him if he is not eating, you can try Nutrical. It is a gel/paste food supplement, simply take a dose and smear it in his mouth.

Suggestions for keeping him out of mischief would be to crate train him. That will make certain he does not have the ability to get into trouble. Use a proper dog crate, not cage/fencing type. I recommend a steel show crate, they are a bit spendy but they will last a life time and once he is trained, you will have no problem. He will probably bark a lot, but if you ignore him, he will stop. If he is barking, as long as you can see there is nothing wrong, do not even acknowledge him. There are many good books out there with details on crate training, and I would highly suggest it for your dog, as with any dog.

Keep us posted.

Old 06-23-07, 07:23 AM
C
It may also help to stop providing chew toys, as they seem to be part of the problem. A good Kong will give him all the chewing he needs, and will be indestructible.

Old 07-03-07, 12:13 PM
Firstly, I must recommend that you follow your vet's advice first and foremost.
Anyway,
Kong toys are not indestructible, but you can teach dogs not to destroy them. Also, I doubt a 20lb dog could destroy an XXL Super kong (black).
I disagree with Rhainy in crate training methods, Here is a great page on how to crate train without causing the dog any discomfort.
http://www.dragonflyllama.com/%20DOGS/Levels/LevelBehaviours/TL3Crate.html
If that link is split up, just go to www.dragonflyllama.com and follow the links.
I would keep giving him oil every day, even if he seems better.
If you don't think he's getting many calories, Highcal or Nutrical is a great option. If he'll drink, Ensure or Pediasure would be OK, but dairy is REALLY hard on a dog's system. Most dogs will eat SOMETHING though, and that's what's important.
I feel for you..
Courtenay Watson
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@nethop.net

Forum Monitors Note:
All Contact Information Removed.
Violation of the rules and policies.

Last edited by Forum Monitor; 07-04-07 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Contact Information Removed. Web Site Violations.
Old 11-27-12, 05:54 PM
S
Need advise from person who used mineral oil to help remove obstruction in stomach. Our dog had surgery a year ago for an obstruction, she has not been well since, came home and vomited daily everytime we feed her, finally found vet that helped us get her much better but still some vomiting and now i am afraid she has another obstruction, she ate fish gravel, and then a couple days later she chewed up some femine pads not sure if she ate some of it they were unused but now once again vomits everything i feed her since surgery have been able to see each one of her ribs. At the end of our robe, paid a forture in vet bills and cannot due surgery again, how much mineral oil shouid I give her she weighs 25 pounds surgery again not an option behind on mortgage and are close to losing house. Any advise would be very welcome

Old 11-28-12, 02:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
SherrySmith,

This thread is several years old and I would definitely recommend calling the vet first.

Call your vet and explain the situation. Most will take payments or give advise over the phone for dosing with the mineral oil IF it may help. Depending upon what exactly is causing the blockage, more harm than good may be done by trying the mineral oil.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: