buddy

Old 03-22-09, 01:06 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
buddy

about a month ago my 5 year old cat had a urinary tract blockage after 2 nights at he vet they said he was good to go home. but now he has (or still has) a urinary track infection the vets gave me clavaseptin tablets 50mg. what iam wondering is this the right med for him?

Old 03-23-09, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 5 Posts
Robin, I am sorry to hear he has an infection. It is not unusual for male cats to get blockages, and get infections. If you have known and used your vet for a reasonable time, I would trust what is being prescribed. If you are unsure that the meds are the right ones for him, call your vet and ask why that particular antibiotic is being used. Be aware it can take a couple of weeks for the infection to clear up as well. If the symptoms are not improving within a week, or if Buddy gets worse, call your vet right away.

Also, what sort of food do you have him on? Your vet should have suggested or even prescribed specific foods for Buddy, to help keep his urinary blockage from coming back. If he is not on the proper foods, he can actually get blockages more often, and can get infections as well.

Do keep us posted on how Buddy is doing.

Old 03-23-09, 11:11 AM
N
Hi Robin,

So sorry to read about Buddy. Here's some information on FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease).
http://www.lbah.com/feline/flutd.htm

Here's some info about the medication you have. It appears it's used in Canada and the UK.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/clavaseptin...50-mg-can.html

As RhainyC mentioned, did the vet recommend any special food?

I hope he's feeling better soon.

Newt

Old 03-25-09, 03:32 AM
K
Sorry about your cat, my friend is having this problem right now, she is looking into another food also, your pet may need to try another antibiotic, some don't work with all cats, Keep me posted, thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: