Feline distremper

Old 05-31-09, 09:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Feline distremper

What are the symptoms of feline distemper? This made me wonder because my 3 guys got rabies and distemper shots yesterday ($10 per shot thank goodness). I have been told that it is a good idea to get the distemper shots, but I was wondering what I would see if one of the guys had it. All three of them are at least 15 years old and are indoor/outdoor. If there is a feline leukemia shot clinic in my area too in the near future, I will once again hear the 3 part symphony of meows. I can afford the shots, but not the veterinarian's visit (emergencies only) such as one guy had a tooth broken off and driven into his jawbone after being hit by a car a few years back. Luckily I never saw the driver or car. Thank you much for any input.

Old 06-01-09, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Nightowlpunk,

Wow, 3 guys that are that old, bless you for being a good pet owner! I am curious who told you the distemper vaccine was a good idea? Generally it is older cats, and kittens that contract distemper. Feline distemper will generally show vomiting, diahrea, and very quickly fading health. You can sometimes save cats/kittens with distemper with lots of electrolyte fluids, and a nutritional supplement like Nutrical.

As for the Leukemia, you definitely need to get the cats tested before having the vaccine. Check with your local Humane Society or ASPCA, if they don't offer low cost/free testing, they should be able to refer you to an agency who can help with the cost. Sometimes cats who are FeLV positive, can actually be triggered into full blown FeLV by getting vaccinated.

Do keep us posted.

Old 06-01-09, 12:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My roommate heard that distemper shots were a good idea. He cannot remember where he heard it from. They don't have any of the distemper symptoms you mentioned (RELIEF!!). One of them occasionally has the sniffles and sneezing spells like 4 in a row. Thank you much for the tip about testing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: