Our cat started spraying

Old 11-03-11, 03:53 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 90 Upvotes on 83 Posts
Our cat started spraying

Hello all: Our 4 year old spayed female, a model cat to date, periodically sprays the wall in one corner. I saw her back her rear end up to the wall and wiggle herself as if directing the spray. She does use the litter box and shares it with our other cat, an 8 year old neutered, diabetic male who also uses the litterbox without fail.

We’ve had both cats since very young. We can only think of 2 events/behaviors, etc that are different than before. Our diabetic male was taken to the vets for blood work, which is very traumatic for him. When he came back the female (sprayer) was upset by the odors from him and treated him badly for days. The other event/behavior is more anecdotal in that it appears that their “play-fighting” has gotten more aggressive and frequent lately.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Thank you all in advance.

Old 11-08-11, 08:36 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, for your post. I don't have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, but almost the same problem. I didn't know female cats did that, and when I saw it, I though I was seeing things. She was standing there by the wall, her hair stood up, and she started like vibrating, and sprayed the wall. It has only happened once that I know of.

Old 11-11-11, 09:03 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi PA,

If your vet has ruled out any health issues with your female kitty, try putting out a few more litterboxes - in different areas of the home if possible.

Also, try switching to an unscented litter. It's not pleasant for you, but cats' sense of smell is very strong so the fragrance added to most litter are unpleasant to our pets.

As far as the wall in the corner where she sprays, use an enzyme cleaner to remove her scent, and if possible put double sided tape on the floor near the corner so she doesn't want to set foot there. Alternatively, you could get a few feet of that cheap plastic "carpet runner" and place it there upside down with the spiky side up - which is also uncomfortable to step on.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Old 11-11-11, 01:36 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 90 Upvotes on 83 Posts
Thanks all; Doesn’t seem like an issue anymore or at least lately (famous last words?). I kept cleaning the area with different products including Resolve, bleach/water, and bac-a-zap (enzyme/bacteria cleaner. I have a feeling that it was related to our other cats trip to the vet. The female (sprayer) acted very weird to him for days after bringing him home. He was very traumatized by the trip and undoubtedly brought odors home with him. I could be way off base though-as soon as we think we know what a cat is thinking...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: