Cat Sneezes allot and sounds raspy

Old 01-11-12, 08:59 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cat Sneezes allot and sounds raspy

i have a stray cat I took in a few months ago. actually was told we could have him as the neighbor in the trailer across from us said the father of one of the kids was supposed to bring over a kitten. Hes no kitten hes full grown. She goes hes a loudmouth will not stay in the house does not get along with the kids or her other cats and shes like you can have em. He is not fixed and still goes out. A couple days ago He would not stay in the house no matter what just kept meowing wanting out. So we left him out all night as it wasn't that cold. Now he keeps sneezing and is eating slowly and sounds raspy. Still wants to hump my one female cat but other then that is not well. Any ideas. I don't think a vet can see him till monday and who knows if he will be alive by then. I did give him a tape worm pill just in case. he still goes to the bathroom as of right now. I don't know if he got into something by the dumpsters(we live in a trailer park) has he hangs around over there with other cats. Anything I might be able to give him over the counter untill a vet might be able to see him.

Old 01-12-12, 03:15 PM
F
Well it appears hes doing a little better. Not sneezing as much and eating a little more. Will keep a eye on him. He wanted outside today but im not letting him out.

Old 01-15-12, 08:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Flirty,
With a stray who is used to being outside, it's quite possible he has FeLV (Feline Leukemia) or another upper respiratory issue. I would get him to the vet ASAP, and have it checked out. Sounds like it could be simply an upper respiratory, but if it's more serious you want to know so you can keep your other cats from getting ill.

Old 01-15-12, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Old 01-18-12, 03:08 PM
F
Well hes doing allot better but now all my other cats got it. I can't afford to take em all to the vet at once and its like $70 just for the visit. going to have to get pet insurance.

Old 01-18-12, 03:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Flirty,

Call your local Petsmart and see if they can get you in. They are much cheaper than most regular vet clinics. If it is going through the household of cats, you definitely need to get them on some antibiotics.

Old 01-18-12, 08:42 PM
F
well 2 are real sick from it. not eating and can bearly breath they have to breath through there mouth as there noise is plugged. going to try and see if the vet can see them thursday as they are open till 7PM. I only use 1 vet that I have used since forever. I tried 1 other and did not like it. I don't have a vehical so going to try and have a friend take them if i can get the appoinment before 4PM otherwise will have to be a cab. I would meet mom after work at the vet by biking over.

Old 01-19-12, 04:54 PM
F
UPDATE.

Took the one cat into the vet since she appeared to be the sickest still though she did eat a little this morning. The vet gave her a convenia injection good for 14 days and for the rest of the cats a 2 weeks supply of clavadrops and if they are still showing symptoms after 14 days more can be ordered.Here is the note from paperwork.

Doctor comments-Lucky appears to have caught an upper respiratory infection (URI) that was likely brought into the home by the cat that goes out regulary. We have given a Convenia antibiotic injection 80 mg/ml - 24 mg (0.3 ml) SQ that is good for 14 days. If lucky again starts having issues with her appetite, you shouldm try warming some canned food in the microwave to help bring out the aroma of the food. This is because the main reason cats do not eat when suffering from URI's is they cannot smell the food. You can also try baby food(without onions) to entice eating. If Lucky's condition does not improve or worsens, we will need to see her back. ---You are also going to need to treat all the other animals in your home for this URI concurrently. If you do not, this problem will be continually passed back and forth among the cats of the household. We have dispensed several bottles of clavadrops to help do this. I would use a standard does of 1.0 ml twice daily for each cat. Also if there are still symptoms after the clavadrops have run out additional quantities can be purchased.

Old 01-22-12, 05:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Flirty,

Glad that you got the one cat in! Sounds like she was not doing well at all. I always, ALWAYS tell people who's cats get upper respiratory symptoms to take them in as soon as possible. Mainly due to the prevalence of some of the worst fatal feline diseases appearing as simply upper respiratory illness.

I am hoping to hear soon that she is doing better soon. The injection of anti-biotics tells me she was really bad, as normally you would simply do the Clavamox. Hope that all turns around for the best. Do let us know how things go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: