Help needed - Found a Wasp!

Old 12-09-13, 04:25 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Help needed - Found a Wasp!

Hi,

I woke up today to a giant wasp in my apartment... I've captured her (as seen in the picture)... I thought I'd try and feed her (by providing a bean...) she wasn't interested.

I gave her some water and she drank that up, and later in the day got some honey and she ate that for quite some time.

Anyway it's the middle of winter–*quite cold and also is snowing... I have no idea where she came from- but I am pretty sure she would die quickly if I let her out.

She is currently living under a glass (with some space underneath for air) and is constantly looking for a way to get out...(I am thinking of expanding her space to a piece larger tupperware on a bit of an angle for air...) but I am not quite sure what to do– I don't really feel up to letting her die, and am just about ready to head home for christmas...

Any advice on care for wasps would be appreciated... do I leave her with water and honey... while away and see what happens... if I try to keep her until spring will she need anything... are there best practices for keeping wasps? My guess is that she is a new queen... but is there any explanation as to why she'd be awake in my apartment?

Anyway I understand people consider them pests– but I'm not looking for moralizing reasons as to why I should kill her–*that is totally beside the point.

Thanks in advance for any helpful and informed advice.

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-13, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
RyanRafferty,

I am not the best person to respond to this, as I am anaphylactic to Hymenoptera (wasps and bees). I would suggest contacting a local beekeeper or Apiary Society to find out the best way to handle your guest.

It should be noted that their normal life cycle is generally only one season, except for the queen, and that the yellow jacket (which is what you actually have there unless I am missing my guess) will die of natural causes even with your care.

Hopefully there is an Apiary person on the forum who can answer you better.

Old 12-10-13, 10:31 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Might be a “european Hornet”. Search for images of that. I suspect that it is a queen that should be overwintering. I’m not the person to ask for instructions to keep it alive; I work at the other end of the spectrum.

Rhainys advice to ask bee keepers is good; also check in phone book for apiary suppliers, county agricultural agents and colleges for entomology and agronomy people.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: