building a ramp for my handicapped dog

Old 03-10-01, 07:37 AM
Visiting Guest
I have just bought a home and also have an 11 year old dog who is having difficulty going down the stairs from the house to the garage.....he has always shown a hesitancy when it comes to going down stairs of any kind, but these are really difficult (perhaps it is because of the aged shoulders....anyway I want to build a short ramp and am not sure how to go about it.....looked in the builders sections and no one even came close to asking about it....I thought for sure someone out there with a love for pets would have either done something like this or knows someone who has....thanks....Millicent

Old 03-12-01, 08:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

We're dog-lovers, too.
We have a 10+-year-old German Shepherd that lives in the house, and is starting to have a hard time getting up and down our 5 deck steps now.
I'll probably have to build her a ramp.
Depending upon how large your dog is, (if small) you can add a long 2X12' board with little pieces of 1X2" nailed to it for traction about every six" to tack to your steps and extend out into the garage.
I may use two 2X12's side-by-side for ours.
Use indoor-outdoor carpet on it, too. THAT is important.
Just so they feel comfortable traversing up and down it.
Good Luck with YOUR little loved one.

Old 03-14-01, 10:40 PM
Visiting Guest
My girlfriend and I have a 1 1/2 year old mini dachsund that had a broken leg. It does fine on stairs for now, although in the future it may not do so well. If builing a ramp is a little too difficult, which it is for me ( I'm an idiot, Oldguy constantly answers my many questions), There is a couple of different companies that advertise in the back of Dog Fancy Magagazine that sell Ramps for stairs, decks, furniture, and beds.

Old 03-15-01, 11:39 PM
Visiting Guest
reply to Old Guy and Afflicted

Thanks for all of your help, He (my dog) is 61 pounds, so he will need perhaps 2 2x12 side by side....thanks for the tip about indoor outdoor carpet...he won't need anything else as long as I make the slope gradual enough....
Here is another question....how do I attach the ramp to the entrance way....and should the supports be every 12 inches across underneath? what should I use as supports ....4x4's? vertically cut or what....
thanks

Old 03-16-01, 12:53 AM
Cool

I would just use 2X4s for support. They should be plenty strong enough, when all nailed together to the 2X12s.
All you need to do is to eliminate "bounce". Crosspieces and "legs" every 3-4' should be enough. You can add more, if you think that it's necessary, after using it.
Lay the two 2X12s together on the garage floor. "Measure twice, cut once", as they say.
Nail 20" 2X4s across them centered where they come together. (Use #8 nails, so that they won't protrude through the facedown top (walking) side of the 2X12s, or if you use longer nails, you can just hammer the points over under the carpet.)
That should leave about 1.5" on either end of the 2X4s to the outer edge of the 2X12s. You can nail 2x4 "legs" to the ends of these cross pieces, cut to fit the angle at the boards and square to the floor.
Just set the 2X12s in place and mark the angle of the legs as they stand on the floor before cutting.
An alternative here, if you think that you need railing(s) for safety, is to make the crosspieces the full width of the 2X12s, and extend the 2X4 "legs" up to form railing supports (at least shoulder height to your dog).
If you can, it might be best to set the 2X12s against a wall, and just use one railing.
I would attach the 2X12s to the steps just under the overhang lip of the landing or floor level. Nail a 2X4 crosspiece under the 2X12s upper end to the top riser for stability.
There are other ways to do this, but this seems to me to be the easiest. Just ideas. Hope that it helps.
Only you can see what you're working with. If you run into any problems, let us know. We'll try to help.
Good Luck!

Old 03-27-01, 03:18 PM
Visiting Guest
RAMP FOR OLD PET

Our 11 year old and 120lb Rotty needed a ramp built to the back yard. I used 3/4" outside grade plywood cut in half. then screwed & glued together then screwed to 3-2x4's on edge. Covered the whole thing with in/out carpet and secured it to the back stairs using concrete anchors and masonary drill. Works great and didn't break the bank.
They are not dogs they're "FUR PEOPLE"
Luck to you
Gordon

Old 03-27-01, 04:45 PM
Cool

That sounds like a good ramp plan, Gordon.
And I'm with you.
The more I see of "some people", the better I like my "fur people". LOL
Mike

Old 03-27-01, 09:43 PM
Visiting Guest
ramp for pet

Thanks to all of you, I will be building the ramp right after I recoup from the knee surgery I'm having this coming friday.....hopefully the recovery will happen b4 I must go back to work, and I will have time to build..
Millicent

Old 06-23-09, 11:08 PM
We want to try again building a ramp for our English Mastiff

Hello,

I have a problem that maybe someone can please help me with. My deck is 12x12 and has 7 steps going down into the fenced backyard. My husband made a ramp but it is way to steep! Is there anyway that you can build the steps up or make another ramp. We also bought indoor/outdoor green carpet for the traction. Please I need someone help, I'm getting another English Mastiff and they are not aloud to do steps until 1 1/2 yrs.old because of their hips.
Thank You

Old 06-24-09, 12:54 PM
N
Hi UniqueArtistPet,

You can make the ramp at any angle you desire. This first link is for wheelchairs, but the concept is the same.
http://www.design.ncsu.edu/cud/pubs_p/pwoodramp.htm
http://www.handicappedpets.biz/ramp/index.htm

Newt

Old 06-24-09, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
And to add...screwing some cleats across the width of the ramp every foot or so will make it easier for the dogs to get up the ramp without having to dig into the carpet. Even indoor/outdoor carpet can be slippery.

Old 06-25-09, 08:30 PM
Hi Newt,

I just want to say Thank You so very much for the info.

Old 01-03-11, 01:36 PM
P
Need some suggestions

I have a 10yr old dog with a bone tumor in her leg. She is not able to get up the steps in our house and likes to lay in her bed in our room at night upstairs. We either have to sleep on the couch or she barks all night. Need any ideas anyone would have to build some type of ramp for the living room stairs (carpeted). There are 7 steps, total height is about 5 ft. Since they don't expect a long life I don't want to spend a lot of money but need to do something for her. Any ideas anyone would have would be appreciated.

Old 01-04-11, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 5 Posts
Puppylove,

I would suggest rather than a ramp, use one of the Helpers that allows you to lift her as she walks.

Harnesses and Slings Help Dogs Walk

This is a less expensive approach to helping her out.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: